Concealed Hinges

Kami

Working on my kitchen cabinets. All good except ...

Anyone know if there are concealed hinges avail for scale 1:12. Everything I see are very traditional hinges. I sorta came up with a cabinet door stay, but it chews up a lot of interior cabinet space and it is not a good answer to my dilema.

Anything avail or someone has a genious solution they have used or heard of??

Hinge 1.jpg

Cabinet door stays 1.jpg

Balsa wood cabinet stay 1.jpg

Cabinet door stays 2.jpg

Kitchen cabinets 22.jpg

Edited by Kami

I've used strips of chamois.  What about the little glasine envelopes people use to put stamps in?  You could cut a folded strip to fit the edge of your cabinet door and glue one half to the door edge and the other half to the cabinet, taking care that the fold be to the inside of the cabinet (so the door opens outward).

Posted (edited)

Okay, yes that worked. I had tried shamy before but found it too thick. I didn't have any glasine, but as a baker I always have parchment around. I was worried it's no-stick nature would prove difficult, but it worked like a charm - and the color of parchment blends in with the natural wood.

A million thanks, now I'm ready to tackle all of the cabinets!

Note to self (and anyone else as short-sighted as I): Put your contact paper, varnish, shelves, or any other interior cosmetic work BEFORE you hinge the door. We live and learn :) 

2 pics, hard to see the under-cabinet lighting. Will take this apart now to do the interior proper. Thank you again.

Cupboard hinge 2.jpg

Cupboard hinge 1.jpg

Edited by Kami

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I LOVE burl!  (Just ask Joel)  Can't wait to see what hardware you come up with.

I adore it. Picked up some very nice veneer on Amazon.

Any suggestions or faves for hardware? I was going to do simple ball knobs, but so far not liking it.

Posted (edited)

Sadly, no hobby or craft stores anywhere near me. Fabric stores are limited to buttons - and limited parking. Now I need to decompress!.

So, from the comfort of my swivel chair I did a quick glance on Amazon, found some very pretty and workable ideas. Found a few gorgeous antique ones on eBay. For economy, I have pearl-finish ball-top pins, but they look too much like Christmas ornaments when I put them on - at least now know what I'll use to decorate my 1:12 scale home come December!

Pic one, doing a test hang of the cabinets. Went well, a few issues to resolve. Aren't there always?! God bless sandpaper.

Pic two, cabinets in perspective

Pic three, almost the full, open floorplan room.

Next up I'll put on the burlwood cupboard and drawer fronts, then choose the big make-it-or-break-it 'jewelry' of the cabinets. Pulls. Who knew this was going to be the toughest decision of all?

Cabinet test 1.jpg

Cabinet test 2.jpg

Cabinet test 3.jpg

Edited by Kami

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ah, but with beautiful burl you can go with pain brass or bronze or even black.

My love affair with burl began as a child. My Grandparents had a lift-top desk with birds-eye maple panels. It had white porcelain knobs. 

I'm leaning towards your suggestion of black, though. I think it will be more elegant. The range is black, the overhead micro will be black, the coffee maker is black. Seems a good fit. 

Now I need to find black knobs / beads!

The other color in this kitchen will be amber, from the pendant lighting.

Pendant Lights 2.jpg

I tried every color under the sun, and in the end I went with brass, or brass-ish color. Close as I could get with pearl-top pins. The black really jumped out with that 'Look at me! I'm a knob!' The brass color is simple, does not take away from the burl, the real star of the show.

hardware a2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Obviously still a work in progress, but ...  is this like a total overkill on burl and brass? Dial it back a bit? Stay with it?

All cupboards work with the concealed hinge trick, all drawers working, glass center cabinet has lights. Combo microwave/hood will go over the stove.

Will update in 'Blogs' when (if) I get it done.

kitchen wall treatment 1.jpg

Edited by Kami

Just my opinion, but the RED countertops sort of overwhelm the burl & brass (which, also IMHO, is just right);  maybe a more neutral granite to complement the burl & brass?

That's been bugging me, too. I have always wanted a red kitchen, but maybe paired with the burl wasn't the best fit. But then the angel on my other shoulder told me, 'It's a doll house! Live a little!' The opposing angels are talking it over as we speak!

I think the red is less in your face with all the gadgets and lights. I'll sleep on this a bit. Burl and brass are working, good to know. I Just picked up some wonderful maple birds-eye I'll be building some furniture with! 

2 photos with most of the trimmings. Seems to soften the red ??

Kitchen update 66.jpg

Kitchen update 67.jpg

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

I like the red. It's bold, bright and adds interest. And it works with the timber colour.

I'm glad to hear that 🙂. I'm working on a little tweak to better match the burl and red (Crimson red, actually), and will post up photos soon or later. Sooner, I hope.

Having to dial back my eBay spending since they added the VAT tax (Value Added Tax). It adds up fast. I'll need to stretch the crimson paint to finish the kitchen. It's a new tax, I guess.

Edited by Kami
  • Like 1

All the appliances give the kitchen that lived-in look, which makes the burl and red less antagonistic towards one another.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love it all

sorry I missed the hidden hinge question but model airplane hinges for rudder, elevator, and ailerons come in all sorts of sizes from micro to very large and being made to work on a RC airplane and withstand stress are usually very rugged