The Ginko House

Kami

I'm a huge fan of the Ginko tree. Grew up on a street lined with maples and ginkos. Been 50 years since I've been 'home' so no idea if they are still there. Decided to work a ginko theme into the house via wallpapers, fabrics, exterior gardens. 

First walls up! Triple layer foam core to be trimmed out in balsa wood, crate pine, odd bits found here and there.

View from future living room area towards future kitchen area.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7f2db5bdffcc6d3e95fdcd4f842158a.jpeg

Edited by Kami

3 hours ago, Kami said:

...And a new Murphy's Law in these uncertain times: Uhu'd balsa wood will always land Uhu side down.

It's the same rule that buttered bread always lands butter side down...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fov said:

If you cross stitch (or want to learn), I posted a free chart for a ginkgo rug on my blog: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=18613

Wow, beautiful rug, and very nice Craftsman work overall. Great to see that, and feels really authentic. Thumbs up.

And yes, it's officially spelled Ginkgo. Seemed to be a recurring theme in Craftsman. Am I seeing wide-plank floors?

I don't suppose you sell those rugs?

2 hours ago, Kami said:

Wow, beautiful rug, and very nice Craftsman work overall. Great to see that, and feels really authentic. Thumbs up.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Kami said:

Am I seeing wide-plank floors?

They're 1/4" wide, which would be 6" wide in half scale. This post describes how I finished the floor: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=16227

2 hours ago, Kami said:

I don't suppose you sell those rugs?

I would consider it! I'll send you a DM.

Posted (edited)

A very rough kitchen mock up in foam core before chopping into the balsa wood. T-style kitchen with a butcher block center counter (nice piece of crate wood). Joseph Eichler style folding table at the end. Hung cabinet over sink with lit center dislay and rounded tambour doors either end. Will make this maybe an inch longer. Farm style sink, under-counter refrigerator / freezer. Tambour door 'guest' cabinet at the end for serving treats and such to visitors. Wine maybe? 6 burner stove (impossible to find those in 1/12 scale, had to rough one out). Long ways to go. 

I need some dolls to see this in perspective!

image.thumb.jpeg.8ee13e13656fab076a58ac2a1fb6b429.jpeg

Edited by Kami
  • Like 1

Finished framing the door / windows to a private gargen. First coat of tinted marine varnish up, will wait 48 hours, sand it, then put on a final coat. Next up the windows and a working door.

Making a settle bench while things dry.

Still looking for dolls. I have seen some okay resin pieces, but folks complain they are not stable and tip over. Not much out there to choose from. May make my own in the end.

image.thumb.jpeg.60b76de4d0bc482b0bb870307100dfd2.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Kami, Sue Heaser has a great book for making dolls from polymer clay.  I use chenille pipe stems to joint mine to make them poseable.

Thank you for that. It is frustrating to find dolls that aren't super fighters or vixens. I'll look for the book, and get some pipe stems.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Kami, Sue Heaser has a great book for making dolls from polymer clay.  I use chenille pipe stems to joint mine to make them poseable.

I just got a Sue Heaser book as a library fluke, and I LOVE it. So simple and informative and clear. Highly recommend! 

6 minutes ago, MamaV said:

I just got a Sue Heaser book as a library fluke, and I LOVE it. So simple and informative and clear. Highly recommend! 

Hoping Amazon has it.

So, I'm thinking about the large dollhouse lighting kit, supports 32 bulbs. Has anyone done underfloor with the tape wire? Underfloor wiring?

Any thoughts?

image.jpeg.d2e0179d0bf00b3e13bd1de6f388b967.jpeg

Quick peek at the full floorplan. Doesn't look like much yet, but it'll all come out in the wash, or warsh, as Grandma used to say. Still deciding which wall/s to pop off for play, or just keep it top access.

image.thumb.jpeg.465001c6be27199168bc01a9ac872e78.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My 'Home Depot' bookshelves, scale 1:12. Supposedly the microscope is 1:12, but it is really rare to see one that big in real life. Maybe for dinosaur bones! 1:12 books a little on the big side, too. But, it all works. Still leveling the shelves, putting a final finish.

Moving forward.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b97ccffa5fc517599e48434971829ae.jpeg

Edited by Kami