Beautiful Northern Flicker At Birdfy Feeder

LoriLovesMiniatures

Nice spot! I have yet to set up a bird feeder haven in our yard, but I look forward to it. Have you ever heard of the Merlin app? I prefer paper bird watching books, but the app is nice and handy! I also have picked up the app/game World of Wings to help me practice spotting, but I haven’t bought my part of the world yet, so it’s not as helpful. 

• Like 1

I had to move my Netvue bird feeder away from my house.  There were too many squirrels near my front door!  I have never heard of the Merlin app.  I will check that out and the World of Wings.  I do have a few bird identification books.  They are helpful too.  I use the Netvue app.  I get notifications on my phone when a bird visits my feeder.  I can watch the birds even when I am away from home! I really miss the hummingbirds right now.  I live in Pennsylvania and the hummers leave here around the first week of October.  Do you get many hummingbirds in your yard?  We have had 3 hummingbirds visit every Spring/Summer.

Edited by LoriLovesMiniatures

We used to get hummingbirds at our house in Havana, FL, because we had several butterfly-friendly flowers in the garden.  Our youngest son was spending one of his visits with us and made the comment that he didn't believe in hummingbirds, because he had never seen a real one; we were standing on the front porch and I suggested he look towards the end of his nose, because a wee brown hummingbird happened to be hovering right there, in front of his face (I had heard it humming).

On one of our Alabama Scenic Paddling Trail trips near Demopolis, AL, we spent a day kayaking in a group with an ornithologist that was fascinating, especially rescuing a stork from some monofilament fishing line it had gotten tangled in.  One of the best parts of hiking, paddling and biking are the opportunities to view birds and other wildlife.

• Like 2

Wow! Your son must have been surprised to see a hummingbird so close to his face!  I love hearing the hummingbirds hum.  The hummingbirds really love to drink the nectar from my fuschia plants as well as the nectar I make for them.  Do you have a variety of plants that they drink from? 

That is so cool that you go hiking, paddling and biking!  Very interesting that you had the opportunity to see a stork being rescued. It is so exciting to be out and about seeing birds and other wildlife. 

8 hours ago, LoriLovesMiniatures said:

I had to move my Netvue bird feeder away from my house.  There were too many squirrels near my front door!  I have never heard of the Merlin app.  I will check that out and the World of Wings.  I do have a few bird identification books.  They are helpful too.  I use the Netvue app.  I get notifications on my phone when a bird visits my feeder.  I can watch the birds even when I am away from home! I really miss the hummingbirds right now.  I live in Pennsylvania and the hummers leave here around the first week of October.  Do you get many hummingbirds in your yard?  We have had 3 hummingbirds visit every Spring/Summer.

I hadn’t heard of Netvue before today so I’ll have to do some research of my own! My Mom gets at least one hummingbird every year, so I have high hopes for us; we just moved into this house, so I’m still figuring out what to do and how to do it. I’m excited to create a home/cafeteria for as many birds as possible!

• Like 1

I love the Netvue Birdfy Feeder.  I also have Netvue stand alone cameras that I have set up to record the hummingbirds and birds that made a nest in my birdhouse!  The Netvue records videos and you can save pictures from your videos.  The bird identification software is not always accurate though.  Please keep me posted how you set up your home/cafeteria for the birds!!!  I am sure you will have many birds visiting, especially hummingbirds!!!

FB_IMG_1699925174925.jpg

FB_IMG_1699925146015.jpg

VideoCapture_20230803-062607.jpg

VideoCapture_20230803-062732.jpg

IMG_5032514953101124_1652393691191-1.jpg

• Like 1

Lori, we left our Havana house over a dozen years ago to move me into a one-storey house a closer ambulance call to hospitals, since I got my pacemaker and the hubs worried.  The house we're in now (in Seminole, AL) doesn't have the hummingbirds; when I set up a hummingbird feeder the fire ants took it over!  Once they had polished off all the nectar and left I took it down.  We have deer, occasional black snakes and a gopher tortoise that live in the wooded areas around our house.

Holly, So sorry to hear that you had to move due to your medical issues.  I hope that you are feeling well.  I can understand why you and your husband would want to live closer to the hospital. Those fire ants are aggressive!  Deer are so neat to watch.  Wow! You have a gopher tortoise that lives near your house!  The black snakes would frighten me.  

We never know what to expect with our health.  Thirteen years ago, I was having a cup of coffee with my Mom outside.  I went to grab another cup of coffee for my Mom.  I never came back outside. My Mom found me on the floor, unconscious.  When I became conscious,  I  had 2 EMTs watching over me.  I was totally confused.  I was diagnosed with a large, benign frontal lobe brain tumor.  I had a craniotomy a month later to remove most of the tumor.  I developed epilepsy from the tumor.  I have my good and bad days.  I pray that you have more good days.

Lori, every day on this side of the dirt is a gift to be cherished.  A recent sign out front of our local candy store read:  "I thought growing old would take longer" and the hubs and I are still cackling over that one!  I'll send you a PM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LoriLovesMiniatures said:

Holly, So sorry to hear that you had to move due to your medical issues.  I hope that you are feeling well.  I can understand why you and your husband would want to live closer to the hospital. Those fire ants are aggressive!  Deer are so neat to watch.  Wow! You have a gopher tortoise that lives near your house!  The black snakes would frighten me.  

We never know what to expect with our health.  Thirteen years ago, I was having a cup of coffee with my Mom outside.  I went to grab another cup of coffee for my Mom.  I never came back outside. My Mom found me on the floor, unconscious.  When I became conscious,  I  had 2 EMTs watching over me.  I was totally confused.  I was diagnosed with a large, benign frontal lobe brain tumor.  I had a craniotomy a month later to remove most of the tumor.  I developed epilepsy from the tumor.  I have my good and bad days.  I pray that you have more good days.

First of all, medical issues are intimidating, but never give up! Second of all, my condolences for your epilepsy - coincidentally my aunt Bonny had epilepsy too! You never know what cross you'll have to bear, which is why we can only be grateful for what we get - like Holly said, every day on this side of the dirt! 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that your Great Aunt Bonny had epilepsy.  Was she born with epilepsy? The antiseizure medicine has many side effects. Medical issues are surely intimidating.  I will never forget when my brain surgeon told me that my tumor is one of the "better" tumors to have since it is benign and they were able to operate.  It started to grow back in 2014.  I had gamma knife radiation done. So thankful that the tumor continues to shrink.  The docs told me that I can never be on hormone replacement therapy.  Tumor would start growing again.  We have to be grateful for what we have.  Life is truly a gift.  I like what Holly said, Every day on this side of the dirt is a gift to be cherished!

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Lori, every day on this side of the dirt is a gift to be cherished.  A recent sign out front of our local candy store read:  "I thought growing old would take longer" and the hubs and I are still cackling over that one!  I'll send you a PM.

Holly, You got that right.  Every day on this side of the dirt is a gift to be cherished.  That sign outside the candy store would have made me burst out laughing too!!! 

On 11/14/2023 at 3:34 PM, LoriLovesMiniatures said:

Sorry to hear that your Great Aunt Bonny had epilepsy.  Was she born with epilepsy? The antiseizure medicine has many side effects. Medical issues are surely intimidating.  I will never forget when my brain surgeon told me that my tumor is one of the "better" tumors to have since it is benign and they were able to operate.  It started to grow back in 2014.  I had gamma knife radiation done. So thankful that the tumor continues to shrink.  The docs told me that I can never be on hormone replacement therapy.  Tumor would start growing again.  We have to be grateful for what we have.  Life is truly a gift.  I like what Holly said, Every day on this side of the dirt is a gift to be cherished!

I actually am not sure how her epilepsy came about, I had always assumed she was born with it but nobody else (to my limited knowledge) has it in the whole family line. Gratitude is the most important thing! 

• Like 1