New builder in Austin

Elizaco12

Hey y’all I’m Beth, a new builder and new to this awesome community! I couldn’t be more excited. I’ve started building the Tiffani. Probably the smallest simplest one around but it’s not going to be “easy” for me! Lol I’m not what you would call a great putting things together person but I’m determined to learn this new skill. Good to meet y’all 😊

• Like 3

Welcome to the little family, Beth.  Actually, invest in some masking or blue painters' tape and a sturdy utility knife with retractable blade  and a decent carpenter's wood glue (Elmer's all-purpose white glue is good for the clear plastic window inserts), too.  Before you glue anything, put it together with the tape first (called a "dry fit") to make sure you understand the instructions and to shave tabs & slots for a more perfect fit.  Ask all the wuestions you need to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My kit was given to me by a friend who found it in a thrift store for 2$. It looks like it’s been around forever and it’s kinda moldy and disintegrating lol. It’s Also missing any instructions, windows -everything but the wooden sheets. Anyway I’m going to try to assemble it anyway using my senses and instinct. Even the instructions on here for the Tiffani are not the same as my kit. It’s rather bizarre. Thank you for the advice and please, wish me luck! 😂 

• Like 1

For the mold make a solution of one part chlorine bleach (laundry stuff) to ten parts of water and pat it over the wood and let it dry thoroughly and FLAT, preferable in sunlight.  For the crumbling invest in a roll of waxed paper and pointed wooden toothpicks and LOTS of the little plastic spring clamps (Harbour Freight puts them on sale from time to time) and when you have a piece disintegrate on you, pour a tiny puddle of your wood glue onto a small bit of waxed paper and use the toothpick to apply it and fold another bit of waxed paper over the mend and clamp it for an hour or so (my Glencroft kit had some sheets like that' unfortunately, the ones containing window and door frames and timbering, so I did this a whole lot).  You can use any source of flat transparent acetate packaging to make replacement window inserts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Howdy.  It’s going well I’m anxious to post photos! My only real stumbling block is the staircase. No instructions and I feel like some parts might be missing. I have the wide steps but not the skinny slats that go between. I guess I’m going to have to make some. Also how do y’all attach the front door? 
so many great tips and tricks on here thank y’all! Beth

Hi Beth,

In some kits, the stair cases don't have the risers, they are more like slanted ladders? Making your own is a great work around.

Do you want a door that opens? There are miniature hinges available, or you can fashion your own using ribbon or a strip of fabric. Then wallpaper over it. I usually bought a prehung door from a miniature store, but you may need to enlarge the door opening for this.

• Thanks 1

Hi Beth, The treads and risers that came with my Harrison looked a little beat up.  I bought wood from a miniature store online and cut them to fit.  For my front door, I used a Houseworks door that has a frame and the door is hinged already.  The door frame fit perfectly within the door opening of my 1" scale dollhouse.  Looking forward to seeing your progress in the future! I will attach a picture of my Houseworks Crossbuck door.

FB_IMG_1697908920722.jpg

• Meow 1

Thanks y’all wow I’m learning so much. Lori your door and house looks amazing! I can only hope mine get that professional looking eventually.
great tips, thanks, Carrie! 

Assembly is almost finished and dang, I can see so many flaws and mistakes. I was going to sell this one so I could invest in another etc. but now I’m not sure. Considering I did it without instructions and it was my first try, I guess it’s pretty good. These kits are not cheap. I really want the Willow because I’m super into the gothic Victorian aesthetic and am planning on turning them into a darker fantasy themed houses. But it’s 149 and that’s without shingles and siding hahah. Wow 😯 

• Like 1

Beth, Thanks so much for the compliment. Whatever you do, don't let yourself get frustrated.  Building a dollhouse is challenging and rewarding at the same time.  Take your time. I don't have as much experience as others do.  I only put together one dollhouse.  I give you credit for assembling the dollhouse without instructions.  I am sure your dollhouse will look great when it is completed.  We Dollhouse builders can be too critical of our own work. The Willow is a popular house.  Dollhouse kits are expensive.  On Etsy, you can buy a dollhouse kit using Klarna.  Klarna is an interest free payment plan that divides your payments into 4 installments.  I love Klarna.  I found the Willowcrest Dollhouse on Etsy for $174.95, but you can pay using Klarna.  When you pay with Klarna, they will ship your purchase, even though you only made one payment. They will show you the dates of when your other 3 payments are due.  You also have the option to extend one of the payments to a later date, if you need to.  Here is the link to the Willowcrest dollhouse on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1539463857/willowcrest-dollhouse-kit-by-greenleaf

I never used wood filler.  I used the pink colored spackle that turns white when it is dry, to fill in the small gaps between my tower and bay windows. I also used the spackle within the window openings to give them a smooth appearance. To cut my wood, I bought the Ultimate Cutter.  This tool is awesome!  It is easy to cut wood at different angles with this tool.  I used this cutter to cut my wood trim for the inner door opening frames, my popsicle stick flooring and even my roof shingles!  I also bought a mini saw that comes with a saw block to cut my baseboards.  I will attach link for the easy Ultimate Cutter.

https://dollhousejunction.com/products/easy-cutter-ultimate

Lori I’ve had it in my Etsy cart for weeks! Haha. I go on there and admire it often. The Willowcrest is beautiful too. Wow. And thank you for the recommendations. I’m going to purchase that cutter. It looks awesome. And I will look into sparkle too. Thanks again! Yay I can attach a photo of my house. Please pardon the mess 😉

6BEBA99C-CB3F-4CFB-873F-299987B43985.jpeg

A1604545-BFEA-4DC0-AEDF-1DFCD0981A3B.jpeg

• Like 1

You're welcome!  Your house looks beautiful!!!  I would wait to do any more shingles until you receive the Ultimate Cutter.  You will be able to trim the shingles easily to align with the edges of roof, before they are glued down preferably. I actually used e6000 clear contact cement on my individual shingles since I stained my roof shingles.  If you accidently get white glue or even translucent glue on the top of shingles, the stain will show where the glue is. I simply put a small dab of contact cement under each loose individual shingle and let one row dry for 24 hours before I started another row.  I put several pieces of masking tape on the  freshly glued shingles to keep them from sliding down. For the shingles on the bottom edges and side edges, I actually put some stain in a large bowl and put some shingles in the bowl, stirred with a one inch foam brush, removed them from bowl, removed any excess stain with another small foam brush and let them dry for a week on wax paper. I made sure that the bottom row of shingles, near the porch are stained underneath as well.  I would also trim the shingles to fit that are on the edges of house prior to gluing them.  I will look for some pictures of my roof as I was working on it.  I did the roof last, after the interior and exterior were all stuccoed. I wrapped copy paper around my house with masking tape when I went to apply stain on the unfinished shingles, so I wouldn't get stain on the stuccoed house.  I also stained my balcony railings, trim, etc., before I glued to the exterior and interior of house.  I used contact cement on the stained pieces to attach to the house. It took me several weeks to finish the shingles.  It took me over four years to finish the entire house and I am still decorating it!  Lol.  I noticed you have the blue tape to hold the railings.  I only used masking tape.  I never used the blue tape.  Masking tape has a better hold and my stain never bled through the masking tape when I covered my lower walls, to stain the popsicle stick floors.  A small amount of stain did seep through underneath the tape though.  Thankful that the baseboard covered that up!  I actually stuccoed my walls inside and out, before I glued them in. I also stuccoed my bay windows prior to gluing them into their proper place.  Will attach my pictures shortly.  Are you going to paint or stain your shingles?  

Screenshot_20231027-160844_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231027-160832_Facebook.jpg

07ffcf94585947a434bd2e8ec6513cc9.jpg

f5f27b760bf798faff17e80306b9887b.jpg

1819c16658f5fffbcca5a9c977a15ac2.jpg

26ebefa2f352ef053ae726254d7e33d8.jpg

aed93a48da9d7fa77ae8c8fbe71edbdd.jpg

987d9e621cede6e8ed9f87d0f9bb76b1.jpg

6f8fbca8f024167829ab52151558a7cb.jpg

Edited by LoriLovesMiniatures
Pictures
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I plan on painting the entire house. Possibly I will use stain on the shingles instead. Your shingles look so perfect! I can totally see how and where I can improve. And yes, as soon as I have the xtra money, I’m going to purchase that cutter. I have a pair of cutters that have helped immensely but I think to get precise cuts I need the one you recommend. Thanks ☺️ 

• Like 1