Help with replacement parts advice - MHM

HeyitsAmber

Hi, 

I have a Marquam hill mansion with missing MDF parts. Some of the parts are lap siding, some are smooth. Some have rabbets (grooves) and some have bevels. As for the pieces themselves, the manual gives measurements and my local hardware store sells MDF so I’m not too worried about that. However I do have a few questions:

1) how do I measure what width replacement lap I need for the siding? 
I have pieces that came with the kit but I have no idea how to measure it.

2) recommendations for tools to cut MDF? Tips on cutting??

3) recommendations for creating rabbets/grooves and bevels on the parts that require it? 

i can add a photo of the manual and specify missing pieces if that helps!

TIA!

IMG_0875.jpeg

You don't *have* to use MDF for the replacement parts, if another material would be more convenient for you. Depending on what the pieces are, you could even use foamcore.

For the siding, it's probably 1/2" lap or 3/8" lap. Miniatures.com sells both. Just measure one "stripe" of the existing siding and see how wide it is.

I'm not good with power tools so I don't have advice for creating the grooves and the bevels. If I were doing it, I would probably look for ways to assemble that didn't require them, but I work in 1:24 scale with lighter materials.

• 4 months later...