Palazzo Valteria, by TTcombat

Angelina1978

I was looking for something similar to the Beacon Hill and found a beautiful Venetian Palazzo by TTcombat. It is called the “Palazzo Valteria”. Central window looks very much the same as the Beacon Hill, but everything else is different. Scale is 28 mm (I think something like quarter scale????).

I feel insecure because manufacturer is not into dollhouses and miniatures, but wargames, so this dollhouse does not pretend to be elegant and beautiful, but functional and indestructible. However, it looks gorgeous in the pictures, so I decided to take the risk.

By the way, I discovered that you can buy not only a beautiful Venetian Palazzo, but the whole Venetia: There is a set with 10 dollhouses plus the pavement so you can have your very own Venetia with the canals and the gondolas; it is called the “Venetian Quarter”.

I placed the order today and I am very excited waiting for my palazzo.

😊

• Like 1

I am still waiting for the palazzo dollhouse, and preparing everything to start working on it as soon as it arrives.

Do you have any tips for MDF laser cut dollhouses? I am reading about priming, avoiding water-based paints, and so on. Could I use a water-based primer on MDF?

I would prefer a transparent primer in order to preserve some of the engraved details, but everything I find is water-based.

Yesterday I get the Palazzo Valteria Dollhouse and I am quite happy. It is very sturdy and it has got lots of windows, balconies, arches… It is big enough as to enjoy all the details. It has got no stairs but it has the holes to put them if you are able to make them from scratch.

I have painted it with shellac, but I think it is going to need many coats of shellac because right now it looks like nothing was applied.

You could see the pictures of the dry-fit. The dollhouse has got a lot of more little details but it was not possible to assemble them without glue. 

Láminas Palazzo Valteria TTCombat.jpg

DRY FIT PALAZZO VALTERIA TTCOMBAT.jpg

DRY FIT PALAZZO VALTERIA TTCOMBAT 2.jpg

DRY FIT PALAZZO VALTERIA TTCOMBAT 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a lot of problems with this kit. The main one is that this MDF behaves as cardboard more than wood. I have primed it once and again with shellac sanding sealer, varnish, white glue and specific primer for MDF. The result is always the same: the wood gets wet and the next day nothing remains on the surface. Now, it smells musty.

I went to a craft store and they told me that there are different types of MDF depending on the percentage of wood and resin, and the quality of the wood fibers. It seems like mine is not very sturdy.

I have tried painting with acrylics on the primed wood, but the paint is absorbed by the wood or slides off the primer.

Yesterday I tried with golden oil painting for the railings and it goes Ok. Even in no-primed wood, the golden oil paint looks gorgeous and the graph does not disappear.

So, my feeling is that, perhaps, this kind of MDF goes great with oil painting: you don't even need a primer.

I am going to buy more oil colors (I only have the golden one) and get a go.

GOLDEN OIL PAINTING PALLAZZO VALTERIA TTCOMBAT.jpg

PALAZZO VALTERIA TTCOMBAT 6 JUNIO 2023.jpg

My only experience working with MDF cured me of ever wanting to fool with it again.  I'm 100% with our own Dean; wood is good!  That said, your oil paint results look like the way to go.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...