Curved Roofs

Peggi

Ok, I have let my roof for the Lily stay wrapped around coffee cans for three days, and they finally curved. Last night I put them in place. But making the edges meet has been a challenge and will probably required lots and lots of wood putty. I have decided I don't ever want to do a mansard roof again.

Has any of you ever used ziplock bags filled with water to use as weights? Well I needed a weight that would form with the roof and couldn't thing of anything else to use. Finally, after experimenting, filling pint size bags 1/2 - 3/4 full worked. The gallon bag wanted to slide off.

Peggi

yup just like having a baby...the next house that catches your eye with a curved roof wont bother you abit to buy and build...till you get to the roof.....than you will remember! :p

but than just think of all that satisfaction of a challenge being met and overcome and how good it looks!

nutti :huh:

One trick for curved roof pieces that I used on my Glencroft was to score the back of the roof piece. This made it "flexible". I then glued and clamped it. You can see pictures of this on my irismarch2 website under Toad Hall. Fortunately, I only had one piece that needed to be curved.

:p

One trick for curved roof pieces that I used on my Glencroft was to score the back of the roof piece. This made it "flexible".

This is the way the mansard sections of the Dura_Craft Cambridge were made & I had debated between soaking the curved roof piece in hot water vs scoring it. How deep did you score, Judith? I was thinking about halfway...