Approaching Thanksgiving 2021 -- Leftovers Ahead!

KathieB

Since the plague is still upon us and my sister, one daughter, and son-in-law are not vaccinated, I declined her invitation to the family Thanksgiving dinner. I am vaccinated and boosted, but they don't test, so in an abundance of caution, I'll be celebrating at home. I thought to get a small turkey to roast so as to have some nice leftovers. I thought about getting a breast, but I like the dark meat and breasts I've cooked in the past have come out on the dry side.

I get my groceries via Instacart. I've found the shoppers are usually very good about specific requests, so I looked forward to a nice, small bird, which in fact turned out to weigh 14 lbs.! It is thawing in the refrigerator as I figure out what to do with a lot more leftovers than anticipated. I am looking forward to turkey soup from the bones, and turkey sandwiches on home made bread. I'll slice some and dice some to store in containers and bags for the freezer. It looks like Christmas dinner is taken care of, and maybe even Easter!

I like turkey in any form, so I see this as an opportunity to try some new recipes for leftovers. How do you handle leftovers? Do you have a recipe to share?

When the kids were little we did the whole turkey bit; like you, the hubs & I don't care for the white meat, so it usually ended up in bits in petit marmite/ pot au feu, which is great for a slow cooker.  I start with a medium dark roux, add chopped up root veggies (like leftover sweet potatoes, carrots & onions) and the holy trinity (celery, capsicum peppers & onions) and the leftover turkey white meat.  For the wings, back meat and bits on the inside of the bird I make turkey tetrazini; I cook a box of pasta and add a couple of cups of the holy trinity, a can of mushroom soup, a couple of serving spoons of Greek yogurt and the rest of the leftover turkey.

This year I'm feeding the three of us as small a chicken as I can find, roast and stuffed, along with stuffed mirlitons or some other winter squash and chunks of sweet potato baked in olive oil and a mini mince pie.

• Like 1

I didn't get to Rouse's, so no mirlitons, but I snagged a bag of yellow, red and orange capsicums and some asparagus that I think will make a pretty veggie pilaf to go with the chicken.  I'm not a particular fan of turkey, although we have switched to turkey bacon and sausage and I use ground turkey instead of ground beef in recipes, and we like that just fine.