Garfield Dollhouse - New Project

TonyaMonique

Hi Everyone, I'm a new member to this forum. I've worked on a few houses by Greenleaf, and have started on the Garfield a couple of months ago. Even though this is one of the bigger houses I've built, I'm moving through the construction quicker than I'd anticipated. (which is a good thing) However, I am hoping someone can guide me or provide any tips around the removable bay windows. The instructions state that you need to place the 1st floor bay before adding porch ceiling trim and railings because you wont be able to move it afterwards. I was really excited to have the access to the foyer from that bay area and now it seems that this is not an option. How can I add/remove the bay after the trim and railings are placed on the porch? Any advice or suggestions are totally welcome! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, so… I realized my error in construction and figuring out how to use the 1st floor bay. I had originally placed a brick/tile floor on the porch floor. I reread the instructions and realized that I needed to SLIDE the bay side to side to have that “removable” access!! *face palm*

At any rate, now that I’ve worked that out… I am off to finishing up this dollhouse.

Thanks for pointing that out. I’m still on foundation. I have it glued and then sat for a couple of hrs on the kitchen steps. Thought I had it figured out one way, but found a picture showing it on the box cover. I have the floor dry fitted and it is good. 
  You are progressing quickly. 

Hey there, you’re quite welcome.
Yeah, I must say… the Beacon Hill took forever to complete. The Garfield, while it’s photographed size looks like it would be a monster, I’ve rather enjoyed putting this one together. In my opinion, you’re conquering the hard stuff. The foundation, stair install, and the walls were the biggest mountains in this project. Once you’ve finished those, you can actually move through at a good pace. However, I do plan to post some kind of video log just because there are almost no visual tutorials on building this house like some others I’ve seen out there. I’ve only found one or two blogs (words only). I think a video log would be helpful because I did find points in the instructions where caveats should have been included from a decorative perspective. Like… you’ll need to slow down and decorate your interior to a certain point. Particularly on Step D, line 17 (Second/Third floor stairwell partition) If you don’t go ahead and wallpaper, carpet, etc. at this step, you literally won’t be able to comfortably reach it to do  it later. Little things like that are not specified and could lead to frustration. This is a house you’d need to decorate as you go, not once you’ve finished. This house is beautifully large and has some cool corners. Keep that in mind as you go!!

Happy Building!!! 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I've stopped working on the Garfield physically, but my mind is working away.  I put the foundation together and glued.  Painted most of it except for a few corners unter the floor.  I do have Krylon UV Resistant Clear/acrylic coating.  Can I spary this into the spots I should have painted with prime.  At this point I have gotten to sheet 15 poping out the pieces and labeling them.  But now its cold,  I can't just run out to the studio here and there, to continue to work on  it, and I am also finishing a few quilts (people size) to clear the winter work area for the house.  My new plan of action is to go ahead and retreve the pieces for both large stairs and put them together, dry fit, stain etc.  In the mean time, I am expecting a package for 3 kits for my Garfield rugs.  One of which is the stair runner.  It's blue and white or cream, not sure yet.  Hence the urge to work on the stairs.  

Now I did see in the topic of electricy a u-tube suggestion for putting in electricity in the Fairfield.  I've tried the wired ones and wasn't happy with my results, but the tape looks good.  Can I ask y'all if you like the tape vs wire or nothing here to do I need to go to Electric topic?  I really want to get back to dollhouses.

• 2 months later...

Vicki, I researched both types of wiring and felt it was to risky having the wiring fail once the walls were completed.  Way to frustrating for me since I have put many hours into the wall finishes so I decided to go with battery operated lights. Just my opinion. I am working on the Garfield House.