Introduction

Aerin

Hi All! I live in Southern California, and after about 20 years of wanting to start building miniatures and putting it off because of school, work, or toddlers, I finally got an Orchid. I’ve finished the main frame, exterior window frames, and stucco, and have already learned so much from my mistakes, I kind of wish I could start over. I would definitely paint and wallpaper the interior walls before I assemble. I knew I probably should, but at the time I had the house in my hands, and no paint or wallpaper, and I was too impatient to wait. My goal is to completely finish and furnish this house before next October so I can decorate with Halloween decorations. 

Welcome Aerin.  Sounds like you have a great start.  Stucco walls huh?...thats something I’ve been too afraid to try.  We’ve all made mistakes with our miniatures.  In fact, I’ve learned so much from my mistakes, I’m thinking about making a few more.   I can hear your enthusiasm and that’s what its all about...the joy of making minis! 

Welcome to the little family, Erin.  Lots of folks start with the Orchid.  I recommend waiting to install windows and doors until Wallpaper/ painting is done.

Keith, I use spackle/ joint compound for stucco and an old credit card or plastic putty knife to spread and texture it.

Yeah, I managed to get the wall paper done upstairs yesterday and it took foreeeever. Then I painted those little dormer triangles and got paint on the wallpaper... another lesson that should have been obvious! Haha

The stucco actually turned out better than I thought; I had some plaster powder sitting around from a kids’ project, so I mixed it with my paint and spread it on with a mini trowel I made out of a popsicle stick. 

Edited by Aerin
  • Like 2