Wiring a dollhouse after it’s built.

Laura Lancaster

1 hour ago, Laura Lancaster said:

I can’t afford an electric kit right now but I’d like to start painting. Can I add a electric kit after I paint or wallpaper? Or are there stand alone lights? 
I have a roll of copper strip from years ago.  Could I use that?

Good questions, Laura!

Paint now, wire later? You may want to make templates for walls and ceilings from light poster board. Paint or wallpaper them and attach to the wall with double sided tape or sticky dots, poster putty, etc. When you are ready to wire, they can be removed. Glue the ceiling trim and baseboards to ceiling or floor, not to the wall template. That way there is a nice slot to slide the panel into for a nice, finished look. 

There are many battery operated lights and more and more are coming available. Their only drawback is the need to manually operate them one by one. No joy of flicking a switch and voila! But a few to brighten up the house before the full wiring would be nice.

I'd think twice about using the old copper tape. Aside from it degrading over time, it will probably not be enough to complete the entire house. If you are going to have to buy  some fresh new tape anyway, may as well use it throughout. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I would suggest buying a new roll of copper taper. Hobby Lobby sells it, and with the 40% of coupon it is a good deal. 

I like Kathie's suggestion for battery operated lights!

9 hours ago, KathieB said:

Good questions, Laura!

Paint now, wire later? You may want to make templates for walls and ceilings from light poster board. Paint or wallpaper them and attach to the wall with double sided tape or sticky dots, poster putty, etc. When you are ready to wire, they can be removed. Glue the ceiling trim and baseboards to ceiling or floor, not to the wall template. That way there is a nice slot to slide the panel into for a nice, finished look. 

There are many battery operated lights and more and more are coming available. Their only drawback is the need to manually operate them one by one. No joy of flicking a switch and voila! But a few to brighten up the house before the full wiring would be nice.

I'd think twice about using the old copper tape. Aside from it degrading over time, it will probably not be enough to complete the entire house. If you are going to have to buy  some fresh new tape anyway, may as well use it throughout. 

9 hours ago, KathieB said:

Good questions, Laura!