Greenhouse

vdbinder

Hi - I purchased the Greenhouse and want to start putting it together.  The pieces are very thin and fragile so I have one chance to get this right.  I want to use the plastic for the entire roof and bottom portion of the front and side panels.  Then I  want to use the screen for the upper portion of the front and side panels.

My question is where is the plastic and/or the screen placed?  I’m a little confused regrading the directions.  I’m thinking this is made like a “sandwich”.   Start with the Outer Pane, then place the plastic on top of the Outer Pane, then place the Inner Pane on top of the entire “sandwich” - Outer Pane, Plastic and Inner Pane.

So I’m making the assumption using the screen would be the same “sandwich”, Outer Pane, Screen and then Inner Pane.  And has anyone used half plastic and half screen?  Or because of the fragile nature of the panes,  is it best to stick to using all plastic or all screen.  I’d really want the roof in plastic.  I can go either way for the front/sides as I really want the Greenhouse to change with the seasons.  I can temporarily cover the screen in Winter and then remove the covering for Spring, Summer and Fall.

And how in the world is the door installed?  Don’t have a clue there!  I‘m anxious to get started however, I’m a perfectionist and want to do this right so it looks great.  I really need clarification on placing the plastic and or screen and any advise and or challenges anyone has had putting the Greenhouse together.  Thanks in advance for your time and look forward to hearing from someone.

Uh, Vicki ... what size is your greenhouse? Are you aware that this is a forum for doll house makers? Your post makes me think you are putting together a real greenhouse for your yard.

Edit: My mistake, sorry. I shouldn't respond before morning caffeine fix!

Holly described hinging with fabric or plastic. Pin hinging is also an option

Edited by KathieB

Kathie, the Greenleaf laser-cut Greenhouse kit comes with both clear plastic inserts as well as what looks like plastic inserts with a screen pattern. 

Vicki, it also looks like you have to decide which set of inserts to use, since you seem to be gluing them between the inner and outer frames.  You can hinge the door if you need it to open & close; if you can acquire some Tyvek or glassine (like the little envelopes stamps come in) or narrow satin ribbon you can cut into strips and sandwich half the length between the two pieces of door and the other half between the two pieces of panel.  I would prime and paint the frame pieces, masking off the surfaces you're going to glue to each other.  The greenhouses in commercial gardens (like Bellingrath & Jasmine Hill) are all glass with self-contained watering systems and climate control; in plant nurseries they're more likely to use screen, so you can decide which kind you want yours to be.

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, the Greenleaf laser-cut Greenhouse kit comes with both clear plastic inserts as well as what looks like plastic inserts with a screen pattern.

Good to know! Thanks, Holly. The original post had me a bit befuddled -- nothing new :D 

https://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse-greenhouse/

Edited by KathieB

• 1 year later...

@havanaholly is absolutely right. I have bought a plastic greenhouse only because this is easier to assemble than a real glass greenhouse. Those cheap plastic (vinyl) greenhouses are ok, but you are lucky if they last one year and they also leak heat. Polycarbonate greenhouses are superior to horticultural glass in many ways as they are double glazed, retain heat and do not break. I have a wooden frame greenhouse with polycarbonate glazing and I do not need to screen the glass, I use less to heat and I have had many children's balls hit and bounce off of it with no damage.

6 hours ago, johny0 said:

I have a wooden frame greenhouse with polycarbonate glazing and I do not need to screen the glass, I use less to heat and I have had many children's balls hit and bounce off of it with no damage.

Umm ... johny0, you do know we are talking about miniatures, not real life greenhouses, right? If a child's ball hit it, we'd likely be picking shards of plastic out of the shag rug. :D