Staircase help

CatColorado

Looks like you need an extra step at the bottom. My solution, actually my intention all along, was to put extra large ornamental steps at the base sort of like a landing.

These are temporary as I’m going to plank them up in the same timber as the floor.

Hope this helps.

stair5.jpg

You could also box in under the stairs and make a cupboard. Mines fairly easy as I want to fill around that area with plants.

Cheers

Glen

What I was really wanting to do, was to add more to the width of the staircase to create a sweeping effect. It may be that I will have to add a landing as well. I actually have the same staircase that you do, I just removed the bannisters and railings.

Cat as you are probably aware, I've never bashed anything and I haven't finished my first building of a dollhouse, but could you take another set of stairs probably straight ones, not curved, place it against the wall and then fill in the gap as it widens by glueing risers and steps? These probably doesn't make any sense but it seems that agains the wall a straight stair case would work and then just make them meet somehow.

A possible future basher in the making, or maybe not :)

Peggi

MMMMmmmm I think I know what you mean and suspect it would be a custom set of stairs. It realy would look fantastic. The bottom stair could be a large rounded afair with each step getting smaller as the stairs twist around and come straight.

Very "found in a palace" type stairs?

Ooo if I had time I'd love to try that.

It would actually be easier than making the stairs your holding but lots of machine work nonetheless.

Best of luck

Glen

Oh gee :lol: , I was hoping someone would say, "Just slap some Paperclay on it, it's easy!"

Glen, you've got the right idea. I might try to make a set of stringers based on the staircases I have and work from there. I haven't entirely given up on the curved set, mainly because I am stubborn.

How about making them out of Balsa wood?

That would be easy to bend, curve and cut.

They would be hollow but with a nice stain you'd never know the difference.

Make each step top a full step with each getting progressively smaller and then stack them up on top of each other.

Can't see that being to difficult and makes it easy to get that nice lip on each step.

Depending on how much of a hurry you’re in I could help with a few drawings. (guideline drawings, scaleish and then sand to the perfect size. Or even just cut each step out of solid wood and stack up. The curved stairs you are holding pretty much started out that way.)

If you got it just right you could even put one of the old hand rails on the inside curve.

Cheers

Glen