Building techniques

CindyS

Hi Cindy --

I'm not real sure what you mean -- since the trim is generally a different color or media than the structure, it would be painted/finished before attaching to the house. Is that your question? Maybe someone else can give you a better answer. :)

Personally avoid spray cans of any sort so I brush on the primer. :banana:

I noticed on the blogs that alot of you start with the shell and then do the trim later. Why is that?

It just depends on what the instructions say to do....I've found that it is easier to assemble the shell and get it painted then add the pre-painted trim that way you don't have a mess and try to paint around the trim work.....that just opens the doors up for a multitude of oppses lol.

It easier to do the trim (window trim, mouldings) last to cover up the "oopses". I paint it before I glue it on, too. Of the two houses that Alysia and I have worked on we haven't followed the instructions to the letter. I dry fit with tape to get a general idea of how the house goes together. Alysia dry fit her Madison and labled all the walls inside and out as to what was going to be painted or papered and what side of the wall belonged to what rooms. SHe wants to try wallpapering on her own this time. She will probably do the door windows and trim last. HTH

we haven't followed the instructions to the letter.

In the blogs we each described how each of us built the particular kit and we didn't always follow the instructions exactly. The fact that the kits all turned out demonstrates that the instructions are simply guidelines. As you read them over & do the dry-fit Holly suggests you may find a different way to do things; this is especially true of a kit with definite ideas of what it wants to be.*

I find it nearly impossible to paint trim after it's attached without messing up the wall/ siding and I have yet to find a way to clean paint off of the acetate window inserts that doesn't leave some sort of smear (it's possible & a huge PIA to minimize those smears).

*After building a few of these kits they start talking to you, telling you what they want to become & how they want to look.