DIY Lighting projects?

Micki

Having spent the last half hour adding all the links for DIY projects to my Favourites list from the other thread, it suddenly occurred to me that this might be a great place to ask if anyone knows of any links that talk about creating miniature light fixtures. I saw beautiful chandeliers online that cost anywhere from $200 up...bit beyond my budget so I went and bought a bunch of jewellry findings and little crystal beads...now I have no clue what to do! I am sure a DIY fixture would be no where near as beautiful as those created by the artisans, but it could be a financially acceptable substitute, no? :banana: Any ideas anyone?

Hi,

I am not an artisian, but I think I have a suggestion. I am making a lamp right now and I am using a single light bulb fixture from Cir-Kit Concepts. They sell them for a few dollars and it comes with very long wires so you could run them along the base of a lamp, etc. Good luck and if you can share tips and photos. I'd like to learn more myself. I hope this helped :D

Sarah

Hello,

I was at Cir-Kit Concepts drooling over the chandeliers that I can't afford and was wondering the same thing. I just bought some fibre optic filament off ebay, the check just went out today so it won't be here for awhile. I'm hoping I can put the filament with jewerly findings and get something that looks good to come out of it. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with. Good luck!

That does sound like it might work, I didn't think of using filament...I just got a book off ebay for making miniature wicker and it used #22gauge cake decorating wire for the frame. I did buy some and it looks like it might work for a frame, and its thin enough for the tiny crystal beads...not sure if you can solder it though. But filament might work for the hanging chains of crystal...possibilites are there, its just a matter of giving it a shot. I'd love to see what you come up with too!!

Wow, thanks Peggi! Those are so cool and they must look beautiful all lit up! I'm definitely going to give this a try. I just so love the look chandaliers. I think they make a beautiful focal point and add so much to the finished room. I can't wait to try it now!

Thanks Tracy and Peggi, I have been working my way through the blogs and had not yet gotten to Nutti's McKinley. I had seen IrishMist's chandeliers but couldn't find them again. Both are a big help. I am going to be trying them out real soon.

In Dolls' House Accessories, Fixtures & Fittings Andrea Barham has a chapter on making ceiling roses from fancy buttons/ brooches and making a polymer clay mold and casting them in plaster of Paris. You can drill a hole through the middle to run your chandelier's wires through.