Houston dollhouse shops

KathieB

I'm going to Houston next week for the International Quilt Show with some old friends from high school. :) <Old??? We're not old!!!>

Anyway, so long as we're there, thought I'd try to snatch a bit of time for miniatures. Does anyone know of good not-to-be-missed miniature shops in Houston? We'll be stayin Sugar Land, not far from Katy. Seems to me I heard there is a very nice shop in Katy, but I can't recall who said it or where I read it. :)

Hey, Kathie, that's a great question! I'm going down to Houston the week of November 5th to visit my sister. They just moved from Sugarland to the Woodlands. I was wondering the same thing myself!! :drool:

OK...I think I can help. I know there's a dollhouse store inside an antique mall on I-10 going towards Katy. Here's the information from the Houston phone book. It's Crickets and Caterpillars, 10910 Old Katy Road, Houston. Phone: 713-932-7641. I haven't been in about five years. I was going to go last weekend, but I needed to be at Reliant Park to root the Houston Texans on to victory. It was nice the last time I was there, but there was road construction and the whole antique mall seemed to be hurting a little. I would suggest calling before you go. They probably aren't open every day anyway.

I also see in the phone book a place in Spring which is just a hop, skip, and a jump from The Woodlands. I've never been to this place. It's Dollhouses Unlimited, 7123 Five Forks, Spring, Texas. The telephone number is 281-655-5588.

The Quilt Show will be fabulous...as usual. Have fun!

Oh, thanks so much, Betty! My sister's mailing address is 'Spring', so how far can it be?!! :D

Thanks again for the information . . . a mini-ing we will go . . . a mini-ing we will go . . . high ho the credit card . . . a mini-ing we will go!! :drool:

If you're going to be in Houston anyway...

http://cgi.ebay.com/san-franciscan-dollhou...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh my goodness ... what a temptation!

But I'll defer to Theresa ... I found out today that a cousin has a dollhouse kit that she bought for her daughter, who is now grown and married and not the least bit into miniatures ... she's going to bring it to me on Sunday, when she returns our kids, who are spending the weekend with her and her husband in Des Moines. I have no idea what the house is, but if it gets added to the line up, I will have committed myself to housebuilding for the next 6 years, at least! (And isn't that a wondeful predicament to be in!) :D

Thanks for the shop names. I'll check them out. I think Crickets and Caterpillars is the one I heard about.

The Quilt Show will be fabulous...as usual. Have fun!

One of my friends is an avid quilter, has had her work featured in books. It will be interesting to hear her comments as we view the show. I don't quilt, but I love to look at them and admire the craftsmanship and artistry. I'm looking forward, too, to the vendor displays. I've noticed that a lot of quilter's parafernalia is useful in working with miniatures.

I went shopping with a local friend who is a quilter the other day. All she needed was a single spool of brown thread, but by the time we'd left the shop, she'd spent about $300 on fabric for two quilts, and I'd picked up 15 fat quarters (on sale for $1 each, marked down from $2.50) in beautifully coordinated colors/patterns. I now have a pretty good idea what the color schemes are going to be in several rooms in the Pierce and Westville. :drool:

Enjoy yourself at the show Kathie!

I recently got back to a quilt I started about 10 years ago. A new friend who is an avid quilter (she has ALL the bells and whistels) is helping me get it together. I'm almost done the top and then it's the binding and backing and then I'm done. It feels so great to 'almost' get another project done! :banana: I'll post some pictures once I'm done . . . the quilt is called 'A Canadian Sampler' . . . I just love it!

You don't have to be a quilter to enjoy the quilt show. I don't quilt, but the quilts are works of art and I'm in awe every time. They are really something to see. And I've never seen so many vendors in one place. You can't see everything in one day. I usually go every couple of years. I believe I heard one time that it's the largest convention in Houston. Last year the crowd was down, but the price of gas was up and some of the vendors I spoke with thought that was keeping people home. Also, the Astros were in the World Series and the ballpark is right next door. Some might have been worried about the crowds from that, but the Astros lost quickly so it wasn't a factor.