Adding an interior wall to Brimble's Mercantile

kathi17

As many of you know, I am building a Brimble's Mercantile and a Taft General Store for my grandsons. I know the Taft has two rooms upstairs, but I would like to have two rooms upstairs in the Brimble's as well.

I know I saw that someone had done this in their Brimble's, but I can't remember whether it was someone on here or not. When I read the blog, or wherever I saw it, they also hadn't added any instructions on how they did it.

Has anyone here added a wall upstairs in the Brimbles to make a two room apartment, and if so, what size did you make your wall, and did you have to add anything to make it more sturdy since it won't have tabs and slots?

I'm doing the Brimble's first, maybe I should check to see how the Taft is done, but I'm thinking Brimble's might be more complicated because of the roof angle.

Kathi, I made a movable wall for the Magnolia from foamcore and covered both sides with Greenleaf flooring strips for the beadboard wall effect I was going for:

med_gallery_8_988_224225.jpg

gallery_8_988_45225.jpg

Since I was hinging it in case I wanted bathroom access it doesn't go all the way up but if you're making a dividing wall you can use one of the end walls to trace your pattern onto a sheet of paper and cut your divider was and doorway; I did that in the Laurel to make a hallway:

med_gallery_8_1103_97008.jpg

Thanks Holly, I never thought of using foam core, it would be a lot simpler than using wood. I also didn't think of tracing the end wall to get the size.

I am caring for my 85 year old mother now, so am building the two stores in two places. I paint and build as much as I can up there, then bring home more pieces to paint while I'm at home. I'll look at my Brimbles again when I get up there.

Wasn't it you, who got that strange doll house a number of years ago that looked a bit like the San Fransiscan but wasn't? I was looking for it in your albums, but didn't see it any where. I was wondering if you ever did anything with it. Or, maybe it wasn't you???

Aaaaargh!!!! I hate Brimbles stairs! I didn't put them in my first Brimbles, but I am in this one. I think these stairs have won out as the worst things I have ever built in a dollhouse.

/rant over.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎57‎:‎49‎, kathi17 said:

...Wasn't it you, who got that strange doll house a number of years ago that looked a bit like the San Fransiscan but wasn't? I was looking for it in your albums, but didn't see it any where. I was wondering if you ever did anything with it. Or, maybe it wasn't you???

Not me, maybe another Holly?  At one point there were three or four of us (I think I'm still the only holly).

Gosh, I thought for sure it was you. I was so disappointed when I didn't see it in your gallery.

Whoever had it, got a really gorgeous victorian house. It was similar to the San Fran, but there was something different about it, and none of us knew what the house was.

On another note, today I found the Brimble's with the wall upstairs. It was in a gallery by uppitycats

Unfortunately, she hasn't been on here for a little over two years, so I'm not sure she is still doing dollhouses. I may PM her if my husband and I don't figure something out on our own this weekend. She did a beautiful job with it.

edit: Oh my, I just looked at her activity list, and I saw that her MS had been getting worse way back then. I am so sorry that had to happen to her. My sister-in-law has had MS for about 35 years, and is now in a nursing home. I hope that's not what happened to her.

Edited by kathi17
more info

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎41‎:‎55‎, kathi17 said:

Aaaaargh!!!! I hate Brimbles stairs! I didn't put them in my first Brimbles, but I am in this one. I think these stairs have won out as the worst things I have ever built in a dollhouse.

/rant over.

Just got the Brimbles.....are the stairs worse than the Beacon Hill?  I'll be pulling my hair out!  BTW, I purchased the kit from someone and the box was sealed, everything is in there except the instructions.  Know where I can get them?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Mimajo said:

Just got the Brimbles.....are the stairs worse than the Beacon Hill?  I'll be pulling my hair out!  BTW, I purchased the kit from someone and the box was sealed, everything is in there except the instructions.  Know where I can get them?

Thanks

From what I've read, I don't think they are any worse than the Beacon hill. I ended up with some of my staircase coming apart while I was installing it. It made it easier to get it in, and I was able to reglue the parts that came off.

It's difficult to install because it interlocks with other parts. For my first Brimbles, I didn't use the stairs because I wanted the extra room, but that meant that I had to make a part to fill in the hole, and that was a pain. I couldn't use the piece that punches out for the stairhole because it had another piece that pops out of that.

I put the stairs in this one because I thought my grandson would like them.

I'm still using my instructions, but if I can get my scanner running with Linux, I'll try to scan them. (I just switched from Windows to Linux because my hard drive died, and the rescue disc I made didn't work, so I stuck a new hard drive in, and installed Linux from a DVD. I don't miss Windows at all, but I still haven't tried scanning or printing yet, because I've been so busy trying to get everything done for the grandchildren).