Question on the lighthouses

CutnStuf

Was thinking about getting one oh the lighthouse kits, probably the smaller one, to make as a Christmas gift for my daughter. She collects all things lighthouse. Question, has anyone built one of these? Looks pretty easy, but I know that looks can be deceiving. Anything anybody can tell this old rookie would be helpful and much appreciated.

It is a dream to work with! The laser cut kit goes together like a charm. Needs light sanding/dealing with the laser burnt edges, other than that it is a a-z build unless like mine it wants a cellar/basement added....

I wallpapered mine prir to putting it together as I wasn't sure how to deal with that once put together but that wouldn't have been too troublesome though when looking at it now. 

Looking forward to follow along your build

• Like 1

It's one of the easiest kits ever!  I've built both the 1:12 and the half scale and both went together like greased lightning!  Both are laser cut and fit together like a smooth puzzle.  It takes a little time to paint all the little grids in the light part but there's no sanding needed so it all evens out.   Both are fun to build and the results are awesome!  I built the 1:12 (which is a huge house with so much floor space!) for a friend who is a history buff when it comes to lighthouses and he uses it to hold his books about lighthouses and some of his smaller lighthouse collection.  The half scale lives with me and it's just the right size to set on a coffee table or end table.  I have pictures of both in albums in my gallery here if you want to see what they look like.  The big one is a traditional red and white (and I used the Lobster Shack kit to make a little tool shed to go on a pier along side it) and the half scale is done with Magic Stone tape and tinted spackle for an east coast rocky look.  

I get the feeling that you'd really enjoy building either one Art.  

While I did change mine quite a bit and didn't follow the kit instructions in a few areas, I wrote up some basics that helped me along the way.  These include the tower wall assembly and making the lantern room removable.  These might help those putting the lighthouse together or help you figure out another method that works well for you.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/walnut-bay-light-tips-and

I built the 1:24 version and I have one caveat:  If  you want to bash it at all, like for interior stairs, for heaven's sake don't be tempted to start gluing it together until you've made that provision.  I got lured into finishing the floors and gluing it all together and had the interior decorated before I did the big "DOH!" headslap that I'd forgotten to cut the holes; so the stairs are added to the outside, and instead of being a lighthouse it has become a garden folly for the Fairfields.

WOW! So many great responses so quickly. I think I'll go ahead and order the 1:24 scale and set it aside while I'm working on the Orchid, since many of you say its a relatively quick build. I also looked at all the links you guys posted and got a lot of good info and saw some great pics too! Thanks for helping me make a decision on this one.

You know, as I have built this one as a shabby chic "house" with an added (wine) cellar, bottom floor kitchen area, second floor the bedroom, third floor the bathroom and then the "light" room as a sort of reading/observing nook I am kicking myself I didn't purchase another one as I have this idea of it as a castle tower, very knightly, with stone clad walls, armours and things like that.....

Hugs

• Like 2