help! Staircase Trim (Beacon Hill)

Mimajo

I posted this in General Mini talk but have not received an answer:

Okay, got the first floor staircase together. Next is the trim. I see how they go together (a & b) but the next step is: "glue the three trim blocks of Trim A, in place in the same arrangement shown on the schematic drawing (15)". They are already attached in that "arrangement". Do I punch them out and re-attach? Help!

What house are you working on?!

Sorry about that...it's the Beacon Hill. I can't seem to get a real close look at a finished one to see what it looks like. I'm beginning to think I should punch our the trim and just put back the rectangle and not the part that looks like a frame. Make sense?

I was getting frustrated and when I finally "got it" felt really stupid. Now I understand why another member was ready to pull her hair out.

Well, please don't feel "stupid" - we have all either been there already, are there right now, or are headed there again any moment. So, you are in the company of the majority when you have those "ah-ha" moments and then blush.

I'm such a visual learner that the written instructions can confuse the heck out of me in about a nano-second. Give me LOTS of pictures or, better yet, let me follow along and do it with someone. You-Tube has helped me understand many things because I can see in the making.

Hey, wait, that's a brilliant idea - We should get Dean and company (Greenleaf owners and staff) to videotape the building of each kit. Then publish that for us here on the forum so us visual learner folk could see it being done live and have stop action so we can try it right along with them even if we are slower than they are.

• Like 3

That would be really helpful, especially with the parts that are unique to a specific house, like turning staircases, turrets, multi-angle roof panels, etc. Tutorials on youtube are abundant in other hobbies, posted by the crafters themselves. And, they're fun to watch. Perhaps that avenue will open up for us, too.

Videos would be great. I have a saying on my craft room wall:

Tell me, I forget

Show me, I remember

Involve me, I understand

I'm still having fun. My house, ahem, has been a little neglected. Need two of me, lol!