My first dollhouse

GrannyJay

I built my first dollhouse in 2000 at age 65.  It came about when a family residence in which my family had lived for our first 9 years of marriage was about to be demolished.  it was almost 100 years old.  I decided to build a 1:12 scale model; I took photos, measurements and made many notes and began a 2 year project which began with a sheet of high quality plywood.  I drew all the plans, did all the work except some sawing (which my husband did), and had a wonderful 2 years of fun.  Incidentally I had never done any woodworking previously.

Since then I have built another large house, also beginning with a sheet of plywood and my own plans, plus 6 other houses which began as kits, and I adapted them to my ideas.  I have a replica of a Williamsburg colonial house, a victorian style house, a castle type complete with tower, a log house, another small house, and a 2-holer outhouse.  At present I have kits for a travel trailer, Irish thatch roof cottage, and a very old Artply house named Worthington which I managed to discover in a small town, complete kit,all waiting patiently for me in my basement workshop.

I attempted to attach photos but the file was too big to upload.

I would just love to hear of other builders about their projects and building.  GrannyJayfile://localhost/Users/janellefischer/Desktop/dollhouse.JPGfile://localhost/Users/janellefischer/Desktop/dollhouse%20interior.JPG

Welcome. Sounds like you have been very busy!!

Wonderful hobby isn't it - actually, I've found that after a while it kind of becomes a way of life rather than "just" a hobby.

As to the pictures, the best size for uploading on the forum is 800x600 pixels. You can easily resize them in MS Paint.

You can start albums of your many builds after you have made 5 posts (replies in a topic count as a post).

We all seem to love pictures so we'll anxiously await the arrival of yours.

Welcome Janelle!  I've always had the dream of doing a scratch-build of my childhood home....hoping to actually get started on it someday!  LOL  My workbench is always full too - *sigh* too many projects, not enough time. 

We'll look forward to seeing pics of your projects!