Tipe for 1st Timer? & Installing Lighting?

Joanna1979

I am building my very first dollhouse with my daughter for her 5th birthday. Anyone have any tips for a first timer that may be helpful? I am trying to read through everyone's notes that have built the Arthur.

Also - does lighting have to be done before assembly, like wallpaper and flooring. Or is this something I can add later if I get really ambitious?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Hi, I am a new member here. I have built (completed) two dollhouses. The first one I did not electrify for that was too scary....however, I did electrify my last one and it was quite simple. If you plan on electrifying your dollhouse, you must make a plan on where you want your outlets and run your wire accordingly prior to any painting or decorating. Once your wire is installed, then you can wallpaper/paint then lay your floors last. Of course I am no expert by any means, but right now I am working on the Glencroft and I am just getting ready to run the wiring for that. I have pre-painted the ceilings prior to the assemble for a smoother look inside.

I must admit that wiring was not nearly as difficult as I believed it would be. The house is just so warm and inviting when they are lit.

Have fun

Thanks for all the tips - so helpful!! I am still a little intimidated with the whole dollhouse thing! But it all seems like so much fun! I would like to try doing the wiring - hopefully the links you posted will help! I really hope my daughter will think that its fun - one its all done, anyway. If not, I may just have to play with the dollhouse myself! :lol: Thanks again!!!

Joanna, wiring is not nearly as difficult as you might think. Darrell's Electrical Superguide takes you through all the steps and there are pictures too!

Have you thought about round wire or tape wire? I use tape wire for my runs and then add the lights and plugs to it. Couldn't be easier. You will want to add the electrical before wallpapering, adding flooring or decorating, et cetera because you'll want to hide the wire underneath it.

Take your time and enjoy the process! You'll be amazed with yourself and your electrical prowess!! :lol: