Siding question

Lisa_F

If I put clapboard siding on my new dollhouse shell - would I want to prime the house shell before doing that?

Also, if it's going to be a little while before I really get to start working on the new house in ernest - is there any benefit - or reason why I should or should not go ahead & prime it now (can you tell I wanna play with my new house?) :D

Hi Lisa --

Are you really that obsessive about priming or are you just wanting to play?? :D First of all, in another post you asked about using the primer that you had on hand. Yes you can use it. You don't need to both seal and prime. They're basically the same thing -- the idea is that bare wood (like under wallpaper) will absorb moisture, so you close up the grain (like pores) of the wood by sealing it. Basic household primer does just that (that's why you prime drywall -- so that the wet paint doesn't soak into it). Now if it's going to be awhile before you side the house, you might want to seal or prime the wood first just to protect it from moisture. But, I've had dollhouses sit on the shelf for 2 or 3 years without any warp whatsover -- it depends on how and where you store them and the quality of the wood itself. As to the clapboard, y'know you'll have to prime that when you put it on or use multi coats of paint cause the wood just soaks it up otherwise.

Now, go ahead and play with it, cause I know that's really want you want to do. :D

Hi Lisa --

Are you really that obsessive about priming or are you just wanting to play??

Both actually :D

I'm fairly new to building/painting dollhouses and just want to make sure I do it correctly. Far easier (and cheaper) to ask questions, gain knowledge and do it right rather than try to fix mistakes because I didn't learn what I needed to first :D

First of all, in another post you asked about using the primer that you had on hand. Yes you can use it.

What I wanted to know is if painting the bare wood with a base of regular house paint counts as priming - or is primer a specific product that I need to get? I'm a little confused on that point lol!

I have been priming my dollhouse walls with regular latex house paint - that we had left over from our real house.

After reading about priming & sealing, I was concerned that I was wrong in using regular paint for priming purposes.

Lisa, I wouldn't bother priming before adding your clapboard siding . . . way too much work! Do you have your clapboard siding? Why not prime that instead (or just go ahead and paint it . . . I used acrylic paint for my siding, no primer).

As for primer, you really should use a product specifically for priming (not household paint). You can also get the primer in a spray can (I prefer to apply primer with a brush though, that's just me)! :D I think it has special sealers and whatnot in it specifically for that purpose. If you're going to paint or stain though, I wouldn't bother. However, if you're going to wallpaper, then you really want to make sure and prime! I don't think it's the end of the world if you used regular house paint, it's just that if you're going to wallpaper or paint, the house paint you used may show through. Primer is usually white (or slightly greyish).

If you're really anxious to play why not start with the stairs (if you have them) or window trim? Usually that takes a lot of work and is the most time consuming. Or, do as I do, go to eBay and fantasize about all the mini-lovlies you're going to use to furnish and accessorize your house with!! :D

Hope this helps you out!! :p

As for primer, you really should use a product specifically for priming (not household paint). You can also get the primer in a spray can (I prefer to apply primer with a brush though, that's just me)! :D I think it has special sealers and whatnot in it specifically for that purpose.

Thank you for clearing that up for me :D I think I will be applying primer with a brush too - because there are different areas that I want to stain rather than paint and so far I haven't been all that successful with taping off the areas that I don't want paint to get on.

I'll be off to Walmart this weekend to find the primer!

Good luck Lisa! One other tidbit . . . I use about a 3" sponge brush for applying the primer. It helps make it go on even and when I'm done, I can just throw the brush away! :D Plus you don't have to worry about those little bristles going everywhere you don't want them to go.

Lisa--I understand your confusion, so with my first house to be safe I bought a quart of Behr enamel undercoater primer & sealer. I've use it on 2 houses so far and still have some left. That way I figured I covered the all the bases--priming and sealing.

But if you want to stain your floors or stairs--don't paint. I learned the hard way--you can paint over stain, but you cannot stain over paint. (Fingernail polish remover helps in removing small paint spots from your floor, etc.) Don't ask how I found that out.

Thanks for all your help Teresa & Peggi!

Now, go ahead and play with it, cause I know that's really want you want to do. :D

You've got me pegged Charlene! :p I am definitely anxious to start on my new house! I have to keep telling myself that I need to finish my niece's dollhouse & the shop for my mom first though - cause I know myself well enough to know that if I start on my new baby (oops, I mean house :D ) then their house & shop will get put aside till I'm done!