Have you ever built a house from scratch?

Adallae

Hello all -

I was quite disappointed to get home today and find out that my Garfield is on backorder :blink: . I have another project that I had planned to start later, but I am eager for some fresh wood, so I've decided to go forward with it. I recently discovered the Architect's Choice dollhouse plans, and I there are two victorian designs that I absolutely love! I've sent an obsurd amount of time staring and the floor plans and elevation drawings, and once I found out about the delay in my order, I figured, why not get started now! ;) As usual, I seek advice from the all-knowing before delving into this new and intimdating endeavor!

Has anyone built a house from scratch? Searching the internet, I've seen it done two ways - the obvious (cut the shapes from plywood of an appropriate thickness), and framing, some thing I'd never considered. Framing is done the same way a real house is built. The walls are framed from planks (like 2x4s, only scaled down), and then sheetwood is hung the way sheetrock would be. Seeing as most plans require 3/8 thick walls, and the house is quite large, the mostly hollow walls would make it much lighter. It also leaves open options for built in fireplaces and bookcases, and to run wire for lighting inside the wall where sconces and chandeliers might be hung, or to use round wire. I love the idea, and it seems worth the extra work! Has anyone tried it this way? Any preferences, warnings, cautions, etc?

I've attached a picture of the house I intend to build. Completed size will be 43"Wx23"Dx44"H. Let me know what you think!

post-755-1157680118_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful house. If that were me I would also go with the framing. Currently I'm using the framing method to build the addition for my garfield and the interior walls in my harrison (there are some pics in my gallery). I went with the framing for many reasons, the biggest one (especially with the addition) was it would be lighter to move so I would be able to access the interior. But the other advantages of this is easier wiring (I'm using round wire) and the doors and windows are easy to put in also. Occasionally on the weekends my DH usually helps his dad in building decks and finishing off basements (as a side job) for extra money so I figured with him knowing about carpentry would also help. His input has been a great help and he is even offered to finish the addition for me ;) . I think I have definately hooked him into this hobby :blink: .

I'm a scratch builder, and have seen the framing method you described online somewhere, though I haven't used it. I think one of the big advantages of it may be the fact that you have more places to glue extra braces, etc. to strengthen the structure. They can be tucked inside the walls. You don't have to figure out how to disguise them and work them into the plan.

Hi Angela -- Done a number of scratch builds including some with this type of framing and it's not particularly difficult. My advice is that if this is your first build and you have the plans, follow them. You're obviously enthralled with the house (and it is a beauty :p ) and following the plans will insure that it turns out the way you expect.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

You are absolutely right, Charlene, I am in love with the house! It's taken a while to build up the courage to purchase the wood to start it, and just when I do - Surprise! My Garfield shipped today and is scheduled to be here Monday. I've got this weekend to finish the Glencroft and make room, because I intend to do both now!

Many, many pictures to come!

If I am going to stick build a house like that I would at least leafe part of it unfinished so that others can see the amount of work that went into the house. A house under construction might be fun too open studs, some sheetrock water and electricaqllines threaded through the walls just like the real deal do the same with the roof complete one dormer leafe the other one framed and trussed part of the roof sheathed but not shingled etc etc

Ed