Concerning trolls

CatColorado

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a simple method for constructing the body. Cut 8 two inch pieces from your twigs. You can use the same clay that you mixed for the head or you can match you color to your sticks. My twigs are a pretty red color so I chose to match the color. The clay will form the joints of the limbs and body as you can see from the pictures. You will need a twig to form the torso. If the twig you assembled your head on is long enough, you can use that. A four to five inch piece will work best.

post-22-1120955092_thumb.jpg

post-22-1120955146_thumb.jpg

post-22-1120955304_thumb.jpg

Don't worry if the head twig is too long or short. If it's too long we can cut it down after baking the head. If it's too short, we can attach it to another torso twig with clay. Here is the body so far.

post-22-1120955824_thumb.jpg

post-22-1120955849_thumb.jpg

Can I use pipecleaners for the body? I might want to make him sitting and want to be able to bend him before I bake it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure. You'll want to cover the pipecleaners during the dressing part, but other than that, it should be fine.

I plan to cover the clay parts with moss and bark, so his feet aren't going to be super detailed. My camera just died, so while I search for batteries, I'm going to bake Monsieur Troll.

Argh. Batteries work but the computer doesn't recognize the camera anymore. Why now?!

The next step as hinted at previously, is to make the feet. My troll will be standing, so I made his feet very sturdy, tree-trunk like cones. After that comes the hands and there are a couple of ways to make them. You can make them from clay, or you can suggest at hands by bundling smaller twigs together and covering them with shredded moss.

You can bake the clay with the twigs on it? Won't the twigs catch on fire?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as they are not close to the heating element, they will be fine. The clay bakes at a very low temperature 275 degrees, so the wood doesn't get that hot. Is your oven gas or electric? Where is the heating element on your stove?

I'm here but I haven't started yet. I wasn't feeling well earlier, and still am not. We have a big storm heading in and my sinuses have flipped and damaged my stomach with them. I'm going to start now. I think.

CHICKEN!!! That's my middle name!!!

And I forgot the moss and bark and stuff ...

OK Terri, I've made my head, and because I was fixing to smush it, I am baking it now. I am going to step away from the keyboard for about 10 minutes and get some water and something for this horrifying headache.

post-6-1121132615_thumb.jpg

I'm back! Restarting the computer worked and the computer is making nice with the camera again.

Take your time Linda and ask as many questions as you like. :lol: I am in the process of baking the head onto my troll.

Note: make FAT joints between the limbs if you are going to be baking in stages like I am. I over cooked the knees and had to make new ones.