Staining furniture minis

laciefae

I recently got the handley house unfinished victorian sofa. I sanded all the sharp edges to soften them and carved the oval and additional scrollwork into the back, and it's looking great!

Now it's time to stain it, and here's where I'm stuck. My work area is a table in my living room, I REALLY don't want to work with open containers of stain. I was wondering if anyone has used those stain pens they make for touch-ups? I understand some of them are good enough (and hold enough stain) to stain small pieces such as this. Any suggestions?

Edited by laciefae

I have used the stain pens almost exclusively since I discovered them. I have used them for furniture, for floors, for wood trim and any other touch up needed. After saying that it will be more expensive for large areas (pen) then the small cans of stain but I love them. They are easier and cleaner to use. So for furniture pieces they are fine, a lot of staining, the cans are more economical.

I can't remember who posted about it, but someone has successfully refilled the pens, which you could do outside in a well-vented area with your cans of stain, which might be more cost effective. Are the tips fine enough to get down into the carving?

I, too, use the pens almost exclusively.

Holly, the tips become soft and squish down into the tiniest carved details.

To refill, use a tweezer to pull out the felt tip. Use a glue syringe or similar to refill. If you're careful and don't mash down hard on the felt tip when prompting a flow of stain, they will last through a few fillings. I'd love to know if replacement tips for the pens are available. I'd be set for life, then!

I wonder if you could make new tips from really fine, dense foam or other spongey stuff?

Getting them cut to the exact size might be a challenge. You wouldn't want stain running out the sides. Maybe tightly rolled felt?

Wow. I do things the hard way. I stain in the garage with a small sponge brush or fine bristle brush. I have the pens, but never thought about using them on mini projects. I just didn't think they would last long enough. I will have to give it a shot.