Displaying the Finished Dollhouse

KathieB

In another thread, Uppitycats noted that she needs to figure out a way to display all sides of her Garfield so it wouldn't have to be turned. This got me thinking. The dollhouse that is going to the hospital needs to be displayed so that folks can see in yet not touch. I'm sure Norma Jeane and I are going to be called in to consult on a design for a case and am trying to get some specifics together.

It should have electricity, storage, and secure -- yet easy -- access for maintenance, and be freestanding, so folks can walk around it. But I'm at a loss to imagine how it will be constructed. Wood? Metal? Glass? Plexiglass? Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm going to the toy and miniature museum in Kansas City the end of this month and will see what their cases look like. When I was there before, I was more interested in what was inside the cases.

I have a plexiglass cube that I had made specifically for one of my projects. You will have to have some way to secure it or lock it unfortunately because people will want to get in and things will disappear. I learned the hard way. It is sad to have to lock things up but for them to last for all to enjoy it is necessary. Some people just don't respect other people's work. This is the main reason I don't provide displays to places like the local library or hospitals unless they have a secure way of displaying them.

I would definitely stay away from glass. I know folks who use it but Plexi is just so much safer. I'm trying to remember where I saw it - darn. I just picked up some old back issues (more back issues that is) of Nutshell News. No! It was Miniature Collector this time and one of the magazines has an article on how to build a display case for your dollhouse! I'll take a few min this afternoon and see if I can locate the article for you - If you don't hear back from me by Monday on this drop me a PM and remind me .. some days I'd forget my head if it wasn't permanantly attached to my shoulders.

-David

.. some days I'd forget my head if it wasn't permanantly attached to my shoulders.

-David

I'm often thankful that my head is firmly and permanently attached to my body. It's one less thing I have to keep track of. :blink:

-Susanne

I have a plexiglass cube that I had made specifically for one of my projects. You will have to have some way to secure it or lock it unfortunately because people will want to get in and things will disappear. I learned the hard way. It is sad to have to lock things up but for them to last for all to enjoy it is necessary. Some people just don't respect other people's work. This is the main reason I don't provide displays to places like the local library or hospitals unless they have a secure way of displaying them.

Good advice -- and isn't just awful that you can't provide a special treat for some people without them being sticky fingered?