Beacon Hill Bay Trim and roofs dont fit.

Minsanity

I have no idea what the deal is with these bay roofs. All the instructions say is to put them on. The trim that is supposed to sit on the roof does not sit on top of the bays, there is no overlap when i try to put it on. I'm trying to do the small bays and they seem to have double trim pieces. I dont even understand why there are 2 pieces of trim. Does one acutally NOT go on the top but is glued against the window top?

I think i understand the reason the trim soesnt sit on the top - i put the siding on first, so that may make it clear the window, so i trimmed them down a little - just enough so they would acutually have a small service that would sit on top of the window. Now i cant get the roof pieces to go in and the whole thing fell apart as i was trying to do it. I've looked over the blogs and it seems everyone has breesed through this part so i'm wondering if i'm doing something terribly wrong. Even the kitchen roof was incredibly frustrating to get to sit right. I spent at least an hour playing with it. For me the siding and stairs, were a party compared to these blasted bay roofs!

If anyone can give me suggestions i'd appreciate it.

Ok, this morning i got up and i was determined to show this house it will NOT beat me!! I ended up getting out the highly controversial gule gun (Oh no! I must be desperate!). I guled the trim to the very narrow edge of the bay ceiling so it would hold while i worked on placing those bleeping roof pieces. I had to trim a few pieces of roof till they fit the area allowed then went back and used strong glue everywhere i could put it. They dont look great now but i plan to spackle and repaint anyway. Now hoping the bay roof tops hold!

I do wonder now looking at the instructons again if there is a modification to the kit since the instructions were done? On the instructions - once you put the bay sides on, there is a picutre and in the picutre there is already an overhang which mine did not have. It looks in the diagram like the bay window pieces attached to the 2nd floor not on the edge as mine did but 1/2 an inch iside the edge so there was an overhang of the roof on the bays just from the floor above. I dont see where i missed a step or have another roof top to go under the roof extensions. Hopefully this will hold. There is a lot of glue on them now and i dont see there will be a lot of force put on theses roofs.

Still curious though if anyone has a clue what i did.

I don't have a Beacon Hill - although it is one of my favourite Greenleaf designs. It sounds like you've come up with the solution you needed. I'm very glad you aren't frustrated anymore! I have no idea what could have been wrong ... but I'm sure someone here will know. :)

Thanks so much for this! Yes that is exactly what happened to mine!! Really appreciate you taking the time to share it with me. I had to smile when i went to your blog i was poking around and saw your reference to the stone house in Manassas. That is just down the road from our home and we went for a tour of it in September. Very cool house. Interesting stories about it. It converted to a hospital during the civil war and there are some powerful stories about it. My son when to a reinactment there during this past summer since it was the battles 150th anniversary last year.

If you want pictures of the interior i could try to get you some. We are really only about 2 miles way.