Shingling the Roof

anpak

OK, all you been-there-done-that folks! We are getting close to getting to the shingling of the Orchid.blink.gif Scary. Any tips/tutorials out there? So many angles, etc. with the gable roofs.

Thanks in advance!

Abby

Some folks have been successful making paper/light cardboard templates of the roof sections. You can glue the shingles on, then use scissors to trim to the edges. Be sure to put horizontal lines on each section so the rows of shingles will match when the templates are assembled.

Thanks Kathie!

Of course that would have been easier before it was all glued together, but that will be a technique to remember if there is a next dollhouse.

Just to clarify - do people glue the shingles onto the templates and then glue the templates onto the rood sections? Or do they just use the templates as patterns for cutting the shingles?

Abby

Some folks have been successful making paper/light cardboard templates of the roof sections. You can glue the shingles on, then use scissors to trim to the edges. Be sure to put horizontal lines on each section so the rows of shingles will match when the templates are assembled.

This link might help some.

http://dollhousework...collection&id=2

There's another that I'm thinking of, that I can't find right now. I'll keep looking.

For the template, I glue my shingles directly to the paper template, then trim the edges. Easier than measuring each angle for sure! Then I glue the whole thing directly to the roof.

And like Kathie suggested, be sure to draw your guidelines, even if it's directly on the roof!

It's been done both ways, Abby. I think gluing the shingles onto the template and then gluing the template onto the roof would be the easiest way to do it. It really isn't very hard to make paper templates after the roof has been glued. Just be sure to mark which side is for shingles and which is for gluing to the roof!

do people glue the shingles onto the templates and then glue the templates onto the rood sections

I've seen mostly this...

And even though your house is glued together it's not too late to do this...get the brown-paper bag type shipping paper, (at Staples, Walmart, etc.) and just size and cut to fit...glue on shingles, trim shingles, and glue the paper backing to the house roof... :)