Where to Buy Wood for Making Furniture?

Rowan555

Okay, so my first dollhouse is going to take another week or so to get here. In the meantime, I have an idea for a bookcase I want to make and paint while I'm waiting. I am SO clueless about everything. It's something I can easily make, but I don't know WHERE locally I can buy very thin wood for the project. Does Home Depot sell it, or should I look at Michaels? Michaels is 20 or more miles away, so I didn't want to go out there unless it's necessary! I thought Home Depot would sell all sorts of wood, even really thin stuff, but my husband thinks I'm nuts. Please help!

Susan

Susan, I buy balsa or basswood at Michael's, or the local hobby store. They sell quite a bit of small dimensional wood pieces, like 1/4 inch, 1/16" and so on. Too bad your local Michaels is such a long drive. I wish Home Depot sold the thin stuff, but I have yet to see it there, and lord knows I am there often enough.

I haven't seen anything like that at home depot. Micheal's or a hobby shop would definitely sell Balsa and Bass wood and should have the sizes you need - some craft stores even have really thin ply wood and some of the better boy toy's shops with really extensive models even sell scale lumber and some nice hard woods like walnut in sizes that are perfect for minis, but I don't think you'll have much luck at Home Depot. I haven't.. not for wood for minis anyway.

-David

Thanks, guys. I've decided to head over to Joanns (the one close to us is gone since Katrina, argh). I may even get some sculpey clay to experiment with. I let my educators discount card expire since our local store was closed - I guess I need to apply for a new one, I have a feeling I'm going to be spending some money there over the next few months!

Susan

Mission accomplished ;)

Joann didn't have any wood, but I did get some fabric remnants and some paint on clearance. I also got some Sculpey clay to make tombstones for my haunted house. I drove over to Michael's and they had all sorts of wood to choose from. I came home and made my coffin bookshelf without even doing a pattern - and for doing it on the fly without a clue of what I was doing, it looks pretty good! The paint is drying right now. I also found some nice miniature wooden cabinets at Michael's for $1 each - I bought 5, 1 of each style - haven't decided yet how I will be painting/staining them. They're pretty cool for a buck - the drawers don't work, but the cabinet doors open and shut. Nice cheap find, I'm excited about it!

I would strongly advise against balsa for building furniture. It is way too soft and te grain is way too porous. If you are making furniture for a dollhouse, Basswood at minimum is a great improvement.

Rockler woodworking has hardwoods in thin strips in several varieties...Walnut, Red Oak, Poplar and a few others in 1/8 and 1/4 thickness. Lowes does stock some 1;/4 thickness POPLAR and Red Oak as well. Poplar with a good finish can look like many much more expensive hardwoods, besides it machines many times better than balsa....nice crisp molded edges etc. If you want to get fancy build the core of the furniture out of Poplar or Baltic Birch Plywood and veneer it with fancy veneers

Ed