Coventry Furniture

Deborah

Hi Again All!!

Hope everyone is having a great day...

Some of the furniture pieces that come with the Coventry cottage we are going to incorporate into our dollhouse and we have a couple of questions....

1. Is is better to sand and stain or stain then glue when building the furniture?

2. Glue type? Is the thick Clear Gel Tacky Glue that dries clear and strong okay to use or do you all reccomend Elmers Wood Glue?

3. Also since I am making my own quilts and pillows, can someone give the what would be the proper sizes unfinished (to allow for seam) for a full size, twin bed and pillow shams/ cases?

Thanks for your help

Deborah / Ken (KDC1956)

as everyone does things differently I can tell you only what I do

I often stain all that I am going to stain while still in the sheets let dry

punch out and than sand the edges with an emory board.

than I glue together....I have also glued it all together and than stained or painted...but if you are going to stain ,watch for glue dribbles...you cannot stain over the glue.

as for glue

I have always used aileens tacky glue for everything.

as for the bedding...I rarely dress my beds but when I do I wing it.

lol

you can see all of the coventry furniture put together in my blog. it really looks sweet in the house.

nutti :lol:

Having made a lot of bed linens, I can safely say there is no set in stone measurement.

Bed's vary in size, but an average is 5 x 7 for a double and 3 x 7 for a single. These are ROUGH measurments, you need to measure the bed you are working with.

For sheets, I add an inch to each side for overhang on the top sheet and up to 2 inches per side for the bottom sheet to allow for tuck in. I add up to 2 inches to the length of top and bottom to allow for tuck in at the bottom. Then add 1/4 inch for seams. If the selvage is clean and smooth, I like to use that for the top edge of the top sheet.

For spreads, allow however much you want it to hang over plus 1/4 inch for turning edges. remember to allow for trimming on edges.

I cut bed pillows 2 x 1 1/2 and use 1/4 seams to close. Pillowcases are cut 3 x 2.

Pillow shams I make a tad larger.

Throw pillows can be whatever size/shape you want.

Hope this helps.

Carol

ps. Remember that the fabric needs to be softer than expected to allow the linens to drape properly. A stiff linen, or overstuffed comforter make your bed look like it has wings!

My partner on the charity dollhouse is a whiz at bedding. She took two stiff quilts and made them look very real and made one set of bed linens from scratch.

Patchwork quilt

Bedding made from scratch

Cross-stitch Quilt

One of her tricks is to use a hot glue gun to hold the folds in place. At first I was surprised that she would use hot glue on these beautiful linens, but as she pointed out, how often do you change the beds or wash the linens?

Thanks for the great info and suggestions, I really do appreciate it.......

Nutti you said the coventry furniture was in shown in your blog, for the life of me I cant find it ,

maybe Im just blind could you direct me where it is please

thanks again everyone

Deborah/Ken :lol:

Kathie B,

I just got down checking out your links you posted about the linens/quilts etc........my amazing how people are so TALENTED......I just love the master bedroom/canopy bed linens Im just in awe.

Thanks again

Deborah

I use either wood glue or tacky glue. Matters on how strong a bond on want for the piece. Like for a desk I would use wood glue for the body but tacky to put the drawers together and the drawer pulls.

I sand everything first off. I sand and sand and sand and when my oldest dd says she cant stand it anymore cause it is making her teeth hurt, I know I have sanded enough...ROFL

I stain all the pieces first cause you will have light areas if glue had dripped and you didnt get it all off.

I have tried making bedding and I felt it was a disaster. Going to have to try again!