Rich Toy Houses

Just One More

I have a Rich Toy house from 1932. Pat just had a post about her Rich house from 1940. Does anyone know anything about these houses? Mine is Masonite and put together with screws. I'd like to wallpaper the inside and add shingles. It's more 3/4 scale than 1/12 and the rooms are small. It's survived this long so I'd like to fix it up. I've had it about ten years now and it's older than me. I'll try and put in some pics here.

post-1928-1301071413_thumb.jpg

I just saw your post and I'll send you all the info. I'm wallpapering the inside but leaving the outside alone. Mine has faux painted shingles on roof and painted flowers siding etc on outside. Mine also is held together with screws and it can fold down. Let me get all the info I have and will forward on to you. I also put new flooring down in kitchen, bath and in process of wooden floors in rest. I kept the same color scheme in bath/kitchen. Mine also is masonite and very fragile. Let me get busy getting you what info I've collected.

Also I found a wonderful lady named, whoops don't have her name but until I can get all info to you check out http://www.squidoo.com/vintagedollhousesbyKeystone.

I just saw your post and I'll send you all the info. I'm wallpapering the inside but leaving the outside alone. Mine has faux painted shingles on roof and painted flowers siding etc on outside. Mine also is held together with screws and it can fold down. Let me get all the info I have and will forward on to you. I also put new flooring down in kitchen, bath and in process of wooden floors in rest. I kept the same color scheme in bath/kitchen. Mine also is masonite and very fragile. Let me get busy getting you what info I've collected.

Also I found a wonderful lady named, whoops don't have her name but until I can get all info to you check out http://www.squidoo.com/vintagedollhousesbyKeystone.

This is interesting website: www.mckendry.net/index.htm. I kept the two messages Florine sent to me (found her name). Florine is a wealth of knowledge and a very generous and lovely lady to contact. If you have an e-mail address, I'll gladly forward them to you.

I've seen larger ones like mine in old dollhouse magazines. One of them had a contest for favorite childhood dollhouses and one of these won. Mine still has the original acetate windows and the outside paint is in very good condition. It still has the Rich Toys sticker, Clinton Iowa on the back. The roof was just brown Masonite and a corner has broken off. I wanted to put some plain shingles on and paint them brown. The screws are a problem with mine for flooring because they stick up some in the corners. I've painted all the rooms with off white but never got to the wallpapering. I have a small 1/12 scale fireplace on the chimney wall in the biggest room and there's room in there for a table and chairs. The kitchen is on the right and living room on the left with the entry door. The door is pretty from outside but inside is just a wooden rectangle with hinges. No stairs but one of the two rooms upstairs is good size. I have a Renwall pink bathroom set that's about 3/4 scale that fits but 1/12 scale would fit also. It's definitely a play type house and will always look more like a toy house than a miniature of a real house. I found mine in a shop window and had to have it. I usually put it under my Christmas tree with teddy bears and rag dolls every year. I can't get the interior pics to upload so will put them in my gallery.

I have the same problem with pictures. I haven't figured out how to upload so I have to put mine in gallery. My front door used to open in, but since it was broken I now have it opening out so I was able to put a two step landing so "people" wouldn't fall as they entered living room. You're lucky you have windows. All but one were missing and that one the plastic was brittle. But at least I could see the original design and color. It's funny but side painted on windows have brown inserts and front ones are white. I found a silverware insert for knives, forks etc that was metal with diamond shape. Yup, I bought it, cut it apart, sprayed painted it white and will fit them into the windows frames I had to make. Looks great! Funny how you see ordinary things once you get into minis. I'll try to get photos to add to gallery. Mine too had been a play house and I have Renwal kitchen & bath that is probably 3/4. Am trying to create a "hallway" on top floor and adding a small room so you don't walk up stairs and fall into one of the two bedrooms and dollhouse creators didn't think it through that I don't like an open air bathroom. Will be putting in door to bathroom and creating some type of "hallway" so you don't have to walk through all the bedrooms to get there. Is that your original fllor in kitchen? I wish my house had been in such good shape. I messed around the the screws, got flat head so I can put in baseboard molding and floors lay fine and round cap nuts for outside. This is going to be permanent as the more it has been taken apart the more damage has been done to it.

The black and white check floor in the kitchen is just scrapbook paper. It's not glued down yet. I'll use scrapbook paper for the walls in small prints. I could do the floors with wood siding strips I have from GL. The window frames are in good shape, just need stain or paint. I don't want to make any changes other than that because I'd like to keep the house as original as possible. It could use a few new nuts and the little bolts to hold it all together but if they are secure I'll just leave them as is. I won't change the outside at all except to shingle the roof. I wouldn't even do that but the one edge has broken off about an inch or more so I'll just shingle and that will hide the damage but not take away from the original look of the house. My favorite part is the chimney with the two little spool-like things on top. The painted brick pattern has no damage at all. I have some of the furniture from the Calico Critters collection. Some of that may work out or some of the smaller 1/12 size. I can't tell til I get it wallpapered and the floors done.

I had painted the entire inside a couple of years ago with satin enamel. Today I tried painting the floors with dark brown Ceramcoat craft paint. Just one coat came out looking like wood floors. I sealed irtwith the water based varnish. I painted the screws and they don't show that much when there is furniture and rugs. I'll put another coat of varnish on tomorrow. I'm really surprised how they turned out. I'll put pics in my gallery. They won't go in the post for some reason.