Wood filler/caulking....help!

louanne

I had posted for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I am a newbie with a Fairfield I was going to put together but have decided to backtrack and get my feet wet by putting together the Greenleaf Village, which has also been lurking under my bed for about 10 years. My question is what is the best item to use for filling in all the pesky holes. I have been using Elmers wood filler, maybe I'm just wood filler challenged, but it just does not seem to go on that well.I have been applying it with my fingers because I have'nt found a tool that applies it well.It seems bumpy even after I smooth it out, and it seems like no matter how little I start with I end up with extra that keeps falling all over the place. I'm having a great time putting this village together, except for this part. (When I think of all the trim pieces the Fairfield will need wood filler on I'm cringing.) Does caulking work better? Or another type of filler? Any suggestions anyone?

I use spackle. When I open the container I always add a lil water and mix it so it is smooth (this is also suggested in the instructions). I also use my finger. I build it up. I put some in. Let it dry. Add some more. That way you get all the cracks filled. Once it is built up enough I do a last fill and smooth with finger. Then just sand. I dont really worry if it is a lil bumpy cause it is either going to be covered with siding, wallpaper, or flooring!

I hope that helps a lil. :D

:D I've used lots and lots of Elmer's woodfill -- the thatched cottage (it's in my gallery) is covered with it. Had no problems with lumps or bumps, but you need to use patience and just a little at a time as in thin coats -- also, you need fresh stuff 'cause it starts drying out as soon as the air hits it and it's darn near impossible to thin out. I used craft sticks to apply it.

My advice is to take Heidi's advice and use spackle instead. :wacko:

Except for stained parts I am also a proponent of spackling compound (obviously, note my "nickname") AND it smooths like silk with a bit of sanding once dry. That said, the Elmer's wood filler + a few drops of Elmer's Probond make a little more flexible filler and you have the fun of pulling drying glue & putty mixture off your fingers as it dries.

None of these stain. I posted elsewhere somewhere on here how to make DIY woodfiller to match stained wood.

Y'know I was in Lowe's the other day -- DH had to get some 1x1's to make a frame for the sports bar -- and I noticed that they have pre-colored wood filler now. So I guess if you know what color your stain is going to be you could just used the pre-colored stuff. 'Course, if you only had oak filler and you're staining mahogany, that wouldn't work, would it? But that's a thought if you're dead set on using filler :D

No problem Louanne,

B4 you know it, you will know stuff too and be able to help out just like the rest of us. You might even be able to come up with something new that even the seasoned builders never even thought of!

As I always say to people who are new, Everyone has to be new at something then it becomes a piece of cake!