OH!! OH!!

nikki

Nikki: my instructions called for hot glue also. But after reading on the old forum and a few others that it may not hold over time (especially here in the south where I'm from) I took suggestions offered and used Aileens tacky glue. My husband also suggested that if I wanted my house to hold together long enought to pass down to grandkids that I might want to use something other than hot glue.

Also reading on the forums, glue is a personal perference. I kinda followed advice given on Earth and Tree site on which type of glue to use on what part of the house. But remember, I'm very new at this to. I've got to say though I've had my house turned every way but loose and it has held together real well.

Your'e making great progress and it looks good. Sorry about the splinters, add to your supplies bandaids you will probably need them. I even took the precaution and had my tetanus shot updated. But I'm clumsy with the tools, ie. xacto knives, hammers, etc. I've had splinters and I've cut my fingers a few times, and have resorted to putting on plastic gloves when using the steel wool.

Keep up the good work1

Peggi

Thanks everyone! I may try Aileens glue, I use it alot on other projects and I like it. So I

ll probably give that a try, although I will miss holding pieces toghether for a few seconds and getting a tight permanent bond. But I do want my bonds to last a Very long time, so I'll get some more and use it.

Thanks Nutti! I know, I'm keeping it very condensed and it's easier on my brain that way. Just a little tiny bit at a time.. :D

Thanks Linda, I'll check out the staining info.

MyMini..> Amazingly, I have seen many a closets here in the south with windows, depending on where they arein the house.. :o Not mine though! What is Paperclay? Is that easy to do, and does it last a long time? What kind of finish does that leave? do you just tab the roof forever, or just until the paint and everything is dry and then glue it on permanently?

I think I am going to have to get my primer and decide my paint color though, because I am supposed to prep all the pieces that have window and door holes next. and the window frames and stuff, so I have to paint sooner then I thought! I just started! :p So On my list is:

primer (unless I paper clay! Have to findout what it is first! :D )

Paint (White satin for window & door trims - some kind of pink satin for exterior walls)

Aileens Tacky Glue

Bandaids

Wood Stain (for stairs)

I think that's it.. B)

n

ok, I finally got to put up some walls! Woo hoo, the fun part! How exciting! It seems to be going really well.. although while in the process at times, I find myself questioning "WHY did I take on this project!?" But within a few minutes,after I conquer that problem, I remember why again!

The third floor was a little bit of a pain to get in, but I got it! So far, this is really a lot of fun!

more eye candy--> http://community.webshots.com/user/adeleilori

n

great going Nikki!

it is going great! a few things....what will you be doing with your floors?

if you plan on staining them now would be a good time to do it.

and now is a good time to start filling in the slots with woodfill unless you are going to be using siding.

I cant wait to see your next stages!

you are doing great!

nutti :o

Nikki, the house is looking really good. I loved building my Pierce. I build like Linda, I paint after the shell is up,unless I won't be able to get to it later. Like the Pierce steps. They have to be painted or stained first. I like wood glue better than tacky glue and I use masking tape to hold everything together until the glue dries.Tacky glue stays flexable and wood glue gets rock hard and doen't move. Don't worry about following the directions exactly about the windows. Think about how a real house is built.Interior window trim goes on after the room is finished in a real house. I don't usually prep my windows and trims until I'm ready to install them.I don't like alot of little pieces loose until I need them. I like to do the outside before I start the inside. But thats just me.Have fun.

terri

What is Paperclay? Is that easy to do, and does it last a long time? What kind of finish does that leave? do you just tab the roof forever, or just until the paint and everything is dry and then glue it on permanently?

Hi There Nikki!

Paper clay is a clay thta I use to sculpt stone for the dollhouses I make. You can purchase it at there website at http://www.paperclay.com

It does take a bit to get used to using and after it dries you paint it with differnt color washes to make it look like real stones. To use them as shingles I glue the roof the I just add the to the clay while wet. You can look in my webshots folder to see some of my houses. My arthur blog shows a little bit on how to do paperclay. :o

Oh thanks everyone! I think I am going to wallpaper the walls and put flooring on all the floors. I've learned that I just need to go with the flow, sometimes the instructions suit me. Other times, it's kind of like... "that just doesn't make sense.." hehe.. like laying out and doing ALL the windows! I didn't have the room or the mental readiness to have ALL those pieces laying about around me. so I decided to get the wall that were laying around out of the way first, then I can focus on the windows when it's time for them... hehe I will fill in with the wood fill now though, that's a good idea!

thanks all!

n