Yippee I am here!

Zippy, to do the quote thing, left click at the beginning of what you want to quote and drag it to highlight what you want to quote, then right-click to get the dropdown menu and left-click on "copy". When you hit "Fast Reply' you'll get a box to click on to add the quote, and if you use the "Add Reply" dialog box you can click the dialog box to get a cursor and then click on the clipboard icon at the far right top of the dialog box to paste your quote. Highlight it as before and click on the "quote" icon and it goes into a nice little quote box in the posting.

Zippy, to do the quote thing, left click at the beginning of what you want to quote and drag it to highlight what you want to quote, then right-click to get the dropdown menu and left-click on "copy". When you hit "Fast Reply' you'll get a box to click on to add the quote, and if you use the "Add Reply" dialog box you can click the dialog box to get a cursor and then click on the clipboard icon at the far right top of the dialog box to paste your quote. Highlight it as before and click on the "quote" icon and it goes into a nice little quote box in the posting.
Holly I am a slow learner - I hope this will work!!

Hey it worked! I can do the quote thing!! :D:D :lol: Thank you so much Holly for your help, that was very kind.

Peggi and Holly I suppose in order to find those unexpected items to be used in the mini world one has to be on the look-out (as well as having the knack). My head is just full of the buildings rather than the bits inside.

I imagine that one day I will have my fill of houses :lol: and then I will think only of the inside bits. Is that likely??

Zippy

It's actually pathetic when you start checking the bottom diameters of plastic prescription bottles to make sure there's no unsightly raised lettering, flashing or other imperfections to making lovely glue glass dishes with your ends of bottles of white Elmer's glue...

Its an art form!!

Welcome Zippy -- your houses are lovely -- the castle is MOST impressive and I'm sure the family will love their digs when they move in. Can't wait to see more pics.

Thank you for your nice welcome :)

I had sort of gotten used to my castle but feel freshly lucky now to have had this piece of good fortune!

:):)

The book that really helped start changing my perspective on recycling bits & bobs was Making Victorian Dolls' House Furniture; Patricia King has "the eye". I immediately cannibalized a pair of old cufflinks (DH never wears French cuffs any more) into bathroom taps as I merrily constructed her Victorian bathroom for DGD's San Franciscan; I like the different kinds of earring backs for pierced ears better (as I described in my Westville blog).

In her intro to Dolls' House Bathrooms: Lots of Little Loos she summed is up telling how she asked the art dept secretary to save the tray the set of acrylic paints came in because she wanted it to make a men's public urinal & the tray compartments looked like urinal stalls...

DS#1 smokes cigars and gave me part of a box of empty cigar tubes. I have just begun to tap that resource... (check out the bathroom picture in my McKinley album)

Check out www.wannainelpaso.com to get some more ideas.

Welcome to the forum Zippy!

You have certainly come to the right spot for info and chatting about anything mini or dollhouse related. ;) This wonderful family of people know everything there is to know about building, bashing, painting and decorating your dollhouses. And if they don't know the answer, they research until they find it for you. I personally have learned alot from them.

Yes, you can find all kinds of things in your home to make minis out of. You can also find lots of things in Antique Shops, Second Hand Stores and Flea Markets. If you plan on making your own curtains, tablecloths and bedspreads you definitely need to check out the Antique Shops. They sometimes have a 50% off bin with old linens. Even if there is a stain on it, you can work around it. :p I found a small linen tablecloth in one , got it for $2.00 cuz it has a large stain in the center. No big deal, I cut around it and I'm making a table cloth for my dining room table in my Pierce. Other pieces may become drapes, tiny doilies for tables and mantels or antimacassars for the chairs. Have fun searching.

lyn (julygirl)

Other pieces may become drapes, tiny doilies for tables and mantels or antimacassars for the chairs.

Also wallcoverings. I love thrift stores and pastel cotton batiste nightgowns with oodles of machine-made lace and embroidery. It's amazing how many, many little Edwardian girls' drop-waist dresses you can make and embellish! And a little girl's velveteen Christmas frock will yield upholstery & drapes ar wall-to-wall carpet.

I snatched up a tarnished old salt cellar once, it will eventually become a parlor stove.

I snatched up a tarnished old salt cellar once, it will eventually become a parlor stove.
;) :D:D I am green with envy - what a capital idea!! Salt cellar watch out you are on the wanted list!!

Zippy

Welcome to the forum Zippy!

You have certainly come to the right spot for info and chatting about anything mini or dollhouse related. This wonderful family of people know everything there is to know about building, bashing, painting and decorating your dollhouses. And if they don't know the answer, they research until they find it for you. I personally have learned alot from them.

Thank you Lyn for your nice welcome! :D

I do love this site just like you, so many great ideas and the enjoyment of reading about/seeing all kinds of different projects developing.

I will look out for your Pierce!

Zippy