Yippee I am here!

Hi everyone

I have been lurking for quite a while now and enjoying reading the posts every day. I had planned on joining soon once I started on my Willowcrest. My daughter just got a digital camera so I will be able to post pictures too.

Recently I bought a Marquam Hill Mansion kit :) and because I live in the United Kingdom this has to be sent in two boxes (USPS weight restrictions). Box 1 arrived yesterday and ..... :D I'll post my unexpected problem in 'Question about a particular house'.

I also have two beautiful doll houses: Ammonite House was all finished and lit when I got it, and my Bear Canvas Castle is a plywood shell with windows, doors and stairs included.

http://community.webshots.com/user/zippyeliza

I enjoy my doll house stuff lots but it is all a bit disorganized, I have people waiting for a home, and empty houses with no inhabitants, and furniture and stuff with no particular place to go. I just buy what I find irresistable and have no money left over to fill all the gaps!!

I am really glad to be here!

Happy days

Zippy

Welcome to the forum, Zippy, this is a good place to discuss & ask questions. There's also a lot of information here & there. Of course there is also a voracious appetite for pictures and we'll look

forward to seeing yours. :)

Welcome to the Forum Officially now Zippy!!

I am so glad you were able to get registered and I LOVE your Castle! I have seen that several times in magazines. I can't wait to see what you do with the Willowcrest and The Marquam Hill Mansion kit. I have that and Nutti have one and I think Peggi or Deb may have one too. I like your taste in houses my dear and hope you get your second box soon. I would be so worried about that. USPS usuall pulls through.

:)

Welcome Yippee!!!

Is your real name Eliza?? I love that name!! If we ever had another daughter I wanted to name her that. So far just have the one daughter :) .

SuzyQ

WELCOME

we are glad you decided to join us in our little corner of the Web.

yes my daughter has that house... it is huge.

although we are not working on it she takes advantage of every 50% off sale at Hobby Lobby to buy funishings for it. so if we do ever get it done she will be able to move right in.

SO you have the Willowcrest?

yummy!

my all time favorite house for sure!

looking forward to seeing yours all done up!

nutti

:)

Hi Eliza,

Wow that Bear Castle is Amazing! Do you have any pictures of what the back looks like? What a great looking front and I've never seen that house before - Beautiful!

Anyway welcome to the forum :)

-David

Thank you all for your friendly messages and the big WELCOME!

Pictures will appear eventually but apparently we do not have an essential cable to connect the camera to the computer. I love pictures myself and wanted to join only once I had something to show but my Marquam Hill crisis made me desperate.

I admire the stone built dwellings you create Tracy, each one a perfect little world!

Yes, I am soo lucky to have my lovely castle. It was one of those things I was desperate to have and I decided to go into complete saving mode and managed to BUY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for seven months, then I had to pay an unexpected bill :) and most of the money was gone and I was very sad :D but unbelievably my castle turned up on ebay and I was the only bidder!! A friend who lived close to the castle and who moreover has a large car delivered it to me. Is that lucky or what?? Now I need the right wing to make my castle complete but have been unable to save for it - too greedy for other things. The Ashwells who own the castle are 16thscale, that makes the rooms very spacious but harder to buy for. At the moment the Ashwells have taken a house by the sea, Ammonite House, and moved in there with all their furniture and clobber. There they live in splendour for the time being, even electric light!

Eliza is a beautiful name but only my pet name. I hope you will be lucky and have another daughter SuzyQ.

David - the castle opens in the front, there are 3 rooms either side of a great winding stone staircase, and there is an attic. On the right side is the extension which I do not have as yet. I have not taken any pictures of my Bear Castle. I am glad you like it and thank you for your welcome!

Happy days

Zippy

Welcome Zippy. Your Ammonite house is beautiful. Can't wait to see inside your castle. I don't have the MHM, but I have looked at it time and time again at Hobby Lobby. I hope your second box arrives safely.

The Ashwells who own the castle are 16thscale, that makes the rooms very spacious but harder to buy for.

The Dolls' House Do-It-Yourself Book by Venus & Martin Dodge has furniture plans in 1/12 & 1/16 scale and the older editions were all 1/16.

I haven't built the Marquam Hill, but the first kit I ever built was the San Franciscan.

I have a Willowcrest kit, I've been collecting all sorts of goodies to put in it.

Thank you Peggi for your welcome and saying nice things about my houses :D.

Your Lily looks so nice set up for Christmas ! It is my ambition to have a Christmas dinner for my dolls - I am afraid they never had any Christmas celebration yet. I recently bought an HOM extendable table kit, I have quite a few months to get it done before next Christmas!

Havanaholly, I've got that book! I like it especially because they chose all the fabric so well, I never find some lovely old fabric for curtains or bedspreads. Also the rooms have something so calm and pretty about them - I wish I could do that.

I have not really considered making my own furniture because my thoughts are all taking up by houses. Meanwhile Realife kits are stacking up here, I always liked them and was very pleased to find them on ebay. I have a thing about Realife kits :)

The San Franciscan is one of my favourites too!! It is nice to have lots of plans for building and lovely time stretching ahead to do it in :lol: .

that book! I like it especially because they chose all the fabric so well, I never find some lovely old fabric,,, Realife kits are stacking up here

My first furniture kit was the Realife Victorian parlor, DH had two horrible wide polyester neckties in brown, one of them a clip-on so not much usable fabric. I upholstered the settee and armchair with the full necktie and the rocking chair and footstoll with the clip-on.

I find "fat quarters" with tiny prints for mini projects. DH's old handerchiefs have made kitchen cafe curtains with a bit of mini embroidery and I have also used old rayon satin vest-lining fabric for draperies. Thrift shops are great fabric sources.

Yep, and when I showed pictures of the Lily to my boss, bless his heart, he recognized a couple of curtains as his old silk neckties. LOL

I just read in one of my mini magazines--not sure which one now--that old silk panties can make nice bed covers.

You will learn to look at things a bit differently when you start doing minis. Recently we took apart an old tv and I think some of the little circuitry may find its way in my Cabin as a whiskey flask and possible can find some beer cans. :):D

Yes, I am soo lucky to have my lovely castle. It was one of those things I was desperate to have and I decided to go into complete saving mode and managed to BUY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for seven months, then I had to pay an unexpected bill :) and most of the money was gone and I was very sad :lol: but unbelievably my castle turned up on ebay and I was the only bidder!! A friend who lived close to the castle and who moreover has a large car delivered it to me. Is that lucky or what??

When that kind of thing happens, it means the house was yours all along and just waiting for you to find it. :D It's an incredible find!

Welcome the forum Zippy! It's nice to have you join us. I can't wait to see what you do with the Marquam Hill Mansion. That's a beautiful house. So is the Willowcrest. That's one of the top houses on my wish list.

Peggi: Yep, and when I showed pictures of the Lily to my boss, bless his heart, he recognized a couple of curtains as his old silk neckties. LOL

<propping chin in hands> Okay Peggi, that sounds like there might be a story behind that. First question, was your boss aware that you had his ties? Second question, was he aware of when you took them? Third question, do you have pictures of you stealing his ties while he's wearing a lampshade on his head at the office christmas party? Coz I'd really like to see them if you do.

Deb

When that kind of thing happens, it means the house was yours all along and just waiting for you to find it. :D It's an incredible find!

Welcome the forum Zippy! It's nice to have you join us. I can't wait to see what you do with the Marquam Hill Mansion. That's a beautiful house. So is the Willowcrest. That's one of the top houses on my wish list.

<propping chin in hands> Okay Peggi, that sounds like there might be a story behind that. First question, was your boss aware that you had his ties? Second question, was he aware of when you took them? Third question, do you have pictures of you stealing his ties while he's wearing a lampshade on his head at the office christmas party? Coz I'd really like to see them if you do.

Deb

Welcome Zippy -- your houses are lovely -- the castle is MOST impressive and I'm sure the family will love their digs when they move in. Can't wait to see more pics.

As to the neckties, Peggi -- methinks it sounds like a HUGE raise and lifetime job security :lol:

Sorry gals no office gossips involved. I've worked with this man for almost 30 years and when I read a hint from Holly about using ties I just asked him if he had any old ones he wasn't wearing anymore (DH never wears ties) and if so could I have them for my dollhouse. So he brought me a sackful--with his wife's blessing. Some can't be used cause the print is to big--yet. But one was used in the Lily as a curtain and one as the window seat cover in my dance studio. Sorry to disappoint.

Welcome Zippy!

I love what you done with your dhs!

I have the Marquam and I will love to see what you do with yours!

This is a great place to learn and a great place to make mini friends!

... I love pictures myself and wanted to join only once I had something to show but my Marquam Hill crisis made me desperate...

... the castle opens in the front, there are 3 rooms either side of a great winding stone staircase, and there is an attic. On the right side is the extension which I do not have as yet. I have not taken any pictures of my Bear Castle. I am glad you like it and thank you for your welcome!

Happy days

Zippy

Hi Zippy,

No worry about photos - we do love em - but I'm just glad you decided to jump in and post! :D I hope you get that Marquam Hill crisis resolved. That's another really beautiful house! And thanks for the description of the inside of the castle. I bet the interior is just gorgeous!! There's nothing like a winding stone staircase! Wow awesome! :D

-David :lol:

Yes, I have thought that too - thank you for saying that :):)

Thank you for your friendly welcome! :) I cannot tell you how much I look forward to working on the Marquam Hill. I plan to start work on both the Willowcrest and MHM at the same time :lol: because I have worked out exactly what I want to do with the Willowcrest down to the wallpaper (have bought the paint already) I want to do a maple floor from veneer (have never done that) and have not bought the material for that, but I also just cannot wait to start on the MHM whenever that will arrive.

You crack me up :D:D :lol:

Zippy

I cannot do the quote thing :D

David, the inside my castle is empty and quite plain except there is a very nice bay window on the second floor and also the doors are unusual. One can do a lot with it though. So far I have bought just one fireplace .... but I have it all worked out in my head. I am waiting until I can afford the extension.

Thank you for your kind words and good wishes :D :lol: - I really want to build the Marquam Hill Mansion, it intrigues me.

Havanaholly what have you started with your talk about neckties?? :) All sorts of things could happen, can we believe Peggi's innocent explanation? I have no tie wearing men anywhere near me and now the need for old ties is obvious what might I do next?? :lol:

Peggi, I have never seen any mini possibilitis in anything around the house - you are obviously talented that way!

Zippy

Peggi, I have never seen any mini possibilitis in anything around the house - you are obviously talented that way!

Oh you'll get there. A glue top becomes a glass, a creamer container becomes a waste basket. My daughters make fun of me because before I throw anything away I look it over real good to make sure that I don't "see" a miniature object in it. I'm not as good at it as Havanaholly and others on the site. :lol:

It's actually pathetic when you start checking the bottom diameters of plastic prescription bottles to make sure there's no unsightly raised lettering, flashing or other imperfections to making lovely glue glass dishes with your ends of bottles of white Elmer's glue...

Zippy, to do the quote thing, left click at the beginning of what you want to quote and drag it to highlight what you want to quote, then right-click to get the dropdown menu and left-click on "copy". When you hit "Fast Reply' you'll get a box to click on to add the quote, and if you use the "Add Reply" dialog box you can click the dialog box to get a cursor and then click on the clipboard icon at the far right top of the dialog box to paste your quote. Highlight it as before and click on the "quote" icon and it goes into a nice little quote box in the posting.