Glencroft beam snafu

jward

Hi there!

Back in October I purchased the Glencroft dollhouse as a birthday present for my 9-year old (why, oh why did she choose the Glencroft??). I started building, became completely overwhelmed and stopped cold (I'm also a graduate student and my particular brain couldn't manage both challenges at the same time). Since my classes have ended I have been working hard on the house and finding it very challenging, like it'll typically take me a few days plus consultation with husband (and others with excellent spatial thinking skills!) before I can understand what the instructions are actually asking me to do. Then, I found the Glencroft construction blog! I am so grateful to all of you who took the time to share your experience in such a detailed way; the photos have been especially helpful.

This brings me to my current problem:

Section B, part 5 of the instruction sheet refers to a particularly vexing "beam" (2A and 2B) that fits under the staircase.

1. It took me two days to figure out how to glue 2A and 2B together, no joke.

2. After having installed said beam, I panicked and thought I had installed it incorrectly, so I wrenched it out (very difficult after glue has dried, by the way) and ordered another sheet #16 from Greenleaf.

3. I then re-installed the beam in, what I thought was the correct way. THEN I discovered the wonderful Glencroft blog and SHEESH! who knew there was a third (and absolutely correct) way to install this beam! Thank you nutti and LindaP!!

4. Once again, I called Greenleaf (who's been great) and ordered yet another sheet #16.

5. This time, however, I have found it more difficult to remove the (second) incorrectly installed beam. I'm thinking this might be because I've actually ended up gluing part of the beam to the staircase, which unfortunately has already now been completed. Major oops. I'm actually not sure if it is advisable to try to remove the beam. Of course this doesn't mean I didn't try, which resulted in breaking off ends of the beam and leaving the middle firmly attached to the underside of the staircase between staircase railings 3 and 4. The result can be viewed in the attached photo.

Is there any way I can remedy this problem without having to start the dollhouse from scratch or take apart the stairs and start them all over again? Like can I just forget about that particular beam and, um, pretend that the unsightly piece of wood underneath the staircase is just a sort of...interesting architectural detail? Or should I maybe try to saw the piece of wood out and then try to "fit" a new beam in there?

Have I mentioned this is my first dollhouse?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

post-5189-1277210802_thumb.jpg

Hi there & Welcome to the neighborhood :giggle:

We did a Glencroft Construction blog some years ago here on the forum:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...house/index.php?

Pick the person you wish to follow along with since we all blog different things that may have slowed us down. The one beam slowed a lot of us down originally. Look at the pictures of the insides and see if it's something you can live without. If not, cut out a piece to replace it or you can contact greenleaf for a replacement. That was a part that I was stuck on and you can see more about it in our blogs ;)

Hi Jennifer! Welcome, we're glad you found us! When you get a chance pop over to the Newcomer's Forum and introduce yourself there.

The construction blogs are awesone, aren't they? Also a section for first time builders over on the left hand side.

For removing your broken piece, you can try a hair dryer or heat gun (be careful as these are HOT) to loosen the glue enough to get the piece out. If you can't, then maybe you can come up with something cool to disguise it!

Also, for the rest of the build, you may want to consider doing a "dry fit" to see how everything else goes together before doing any gluing. This can save all kinds of heart ache down the road.

Good luck! Oh, and when you have made 5 posts, you can open an album to show us your progress!

Hello, and welcome to the forum, unfortunately I can be of no help to you as I have never built this house but hang in there!! I'm sure that someone here will be able to help you, Good Luck!!

Thanks you so much for the feedback and support! I think this might end up being one of many imperfections I will have to live with in this dollhouse. I almost want to use this house as the "test" run, and then construct another glencroft when I'm done with the first! Until then, I will continue to diligently follow the blogs.

Thanks again!

If it's glued with wood glue, try dabbing a little white vinegar on the join to see if you can soften it. My particular favorite method is my Stanley utility box-cutter knife and a hammer. Instead of ordering new sheet #16, trace that part on a piece of scrapwood from the kit.

Tracy, that's the one we all kept gluing sideways! You picked up on it when I was blogging that part of the build on your computer (I built my Glencroft in our travel trailer that year).

• 12 years later...

Hi! I also can't figure out for the life of me exactly where beams 2A & 2B are to be placed. The instructions do not explain it will and really should have more picture examples. Does anyone have a picture of beams 2A & 2B in place??

24 minutes ago, LPCullen said:

@KJW somewhere on the forum there are albums where many of us built the Glencroft and did detailed building pics. I would link you but I’m technology impaired 

The Team Glencroft building blog, perhaps?  Somewhere during one or more of the many "upgrades" to the forum we lost an awful lot of the maneuverability and access to those blogs, but persistence will get you where you want to go.

• Like 1