whar cement to use?

fairymom

Can anyone tell me what type of cement works best for gluing the thin wood strips to the floor? i have some left from an old heritage kit that i didn't use so i want to use them on a different house now but can't find the instructions. can i use rubber cement? -holly

can i use rubber cement? -holly

Absolutely! Here's how I've done it, per the video instructions that came with the Dura-Craft San Franciscan, and I liked the finished product so well I haven't looked back: I spread rubber cement all over the floor I want to lay woodstrips on and let it dry (I mask off the areas I don't want the strips on). Then I lay a row of flooring strips and cut the last piece. Next I spread the cement on the back of the strips and lay them so one side is flush with the edge of the floor. Then I cut one of the strip 2" long for the start of the next row; depending on how long my strips are I cut each subsequent row's starting strip 2" longer than the preceding row until it's back to the start. I lay each row as flush to the preceding row as possible. About every four or five rows I stop and burnish the "boards", I use an old teaspoon to do this, the back of the spoon's bowl is smooth & curves gently & I can press down on the bowl and squish the wood strip to the plywood base nice & tight.

If you're electrifying, simply take a sheet of newspaper and make a pattern of the floor area you want to cover with strips and use it to cut a template from cardboard and lay your floor on that. I would paint the cardboard roughly the color you'll want your stained floor to look, since sometimes a piece of wood strip looks beautifully straight until you glue it down.

Dried globs of rubber cement can be stuck together and used to pick up stray drips & smears of other dried rubber cement. Do not throw away your dry rubber cement globs until they get too full of sawdust/ wood paricles to pick up dry globs (we won't ask how I learned this, we don't have all night).

ON my Duracraft houses, they say use rubber cement to put the floors down because when you staine them they won't pop off :) .

I only used it on there houses though. On my other ones, I use quick grip on the floors. :rolleyes: