Tip for getting rid of MDF fuzzies...

minifan

I seem to remember a couple people posting on here a while back about the MDF fuzziness. I was working on my Princess Anne today and found this great way of doing so...

Not sanding anything the basic structure was glued and taped together, after drying for 24 hours I painted it with a light coat of white Gesso last night...this morning I sanded it once with 320 grit sand paper and then took a sponge with a scour pad on it, using the scour pad I went over the sanded areas and voila...smooth as silk...

Essentially I really only sanded it down once and then just rubbed it with the scour pad...so much less sanding than usual...I will still have to add the exterior paint to it, and sand in between coats, but this method worked great for getting rid of those fuzzies!!!

I seem to remember a couple people posting on here a while back about the MDF fuzziness. I was working on my Princess Anne today and found this great way of doing so...

Not sanding anything the basic structure was glued and taped together, after drying for 24 hours I painted it with a light coat of white Gesso last night...this morning I sanded it once with 320 grit sand paper and then took a sponge with a scour pad on it, using the scour pad I went over the sanded areas and voila...smooth as silk...

Essentially I really only sanded it down once and then just rubbed it with the scour pad...so much less sanding than usual...I will still have to add the exterior paint to it, and sand in between coats, but this method worked great for getting rid of those fuzzies!!!

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to start on my East Side Townhouse soon, and have never worked with MDF, but have read about fuzziness problems. Been stressing it! Now I feel much better. Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...