Greenleaf Village HELP.........

Shelly N

Ok over the weekend I pulled out my GL Village and glued the floors and sides together. On most of them I left one side off because I want to put in a second floor. So my dilemma now is should I trace around the door and window openings before I begin adding the paperclay or should I go ahead and glue them in place first? These it looks to me like are heavy weight paper and are all white. And, if I want to electrify them should I use the tape or round wire (sheesh lots of questions right?) and should I do that before doing the paperclay?

Thank you

Shelly

Shelly --

Actually, I was hoping you'd help me with it -- my set's been sitting on the shelf for 4 years!

Others may have a different take on this than I, but since these are soooo tiny and fragile, I'd build them first -- think that would give some stability to the house. On the other hand.....

And I'd definitely trace out the openings -- the paperclay is going to change the wood's dimensions and you might not be able to fit them otherwise.

As to wiring -- use what your comfortable with. How are you decorating the inside? If you're paperclaying, round wire is probably your best bet. If you're just papering/painting, I think the tapewire would be fine.

What kind of exteriors are you planning on? Brick, stone, wood? And are you going to paperclay the roofs or shingle? How are you decorating the insides? (I like details :) )

I would add the clay first and then decide which trim parts you are gonna use because as Charlene brought out, the clay will change the deminsions of your houses. I use hard wire on my houses because I don't have much sucess with tape wire so I am more comfortable with what works for me.

If you paperclay the insides, I don't know how you could get the tapewire to work though. I am doing paper clay on a 1/4th scale house right now too (Created and designed by me though) and I am having a ball with it.

The lights will run on a batery pack under the base :)

Shelly --

Actually, I was hoping you'd help me with it -- my set's been sitting on the shelf for 4 years!

Others may have a different take on this than I, but since these are soooo tiny and fragile, I'd build them first -- think that would give some stability to the house. On the other hand.....

And I'd definitely trace out the openings -- the paperclay is going to change the wood's dimensions and you might not be able to fit them otherwise.

As to wiring -- use what your comfortable with. How are you decorating the inside? If you're paperclaying, round wire is probably your best bet. If you're just papering/painting, I think the tapewire would be fine.

What kind of exteriors are you planning on? Brick, stone, wood? And are you going to paperclay the roofs or shingle? How are you decorating the insides? (I like details :) )

Hi Charlene! I do like the idea of tracing around the windows for the trims etc....That was my first thought anyway. Awwww wiring. I have never wired anything before but I am thinking of a stone cottage village with lots of flowers and paths. Can they all be wired together?

At this point in time I am thinking of only using the clay on the outside and just papering and painting on the insides maybe using paperclay for a fireplace or two. As far as the roof's I am not sure yet. I want the look of a English cottage garden with lots of stones on the houses. Not sure what type of roofing I should do with my eclectic styling....LOL...

Trace! I can't wait to see your 1/4" self designed little house.............I love designing them. I have done a few in 1/4 and some 1/144th type vignettes set into domes that turned out pretty cute.

Hi Shelly --

Re Wiring: Y'know, if you're going to wire the entire village together (great idea, by the way), round wire might be the easier to work with. As Tracy pointed out, tapewire can give you fits -- it's easy to short out the run if you're not careful -- one little poke in the tape and the whole system's down. Personally prefer tapewire cause it's easier to add lights down the road, but this is 1/4" after all and you're probably not going to be putting in more lights in the future. If you've never electrified, the round wire would be easy to hide and work with in a more-or-less extensive paperclay scene.

But do plan ahead on the wiring, whichever you choose. Sketch out your wiring diagram before you start the paperclay 'cause if any of it's going to be under your finish that means you need to wire as you build.

If you're going to put the village on a base like foamboad, you can carve a channel for the wire and build right over it going from house to house. (If you use foamboard, make sure you use modge podge or gesso on BOTH sides -- if you only coat one side it will warp)

Your ideas sound splendid -- I can just see this all lit up and ready for Christmas.

Here is a little progress on the carriage house. I originally was only putting the stones partway up the sides then was going to finish off with some siding. what do you think?

Shelly I love your stones!! I can't wait to se ethe rest of it. I have seen your 1/4th scale items and there was one of them I think you had up on ebay a little while ago (maybe about 9 months it looked like a spanish villa (I think that was you correct me if I am wrong :)) You do awesome work girl!

:D

I promise to take pictures of mine too!

I have a small Arthur that came with the village and Nutti keeps fussing at me to complete it since I told her about it. I did not like it because it was the 1st time I had attempted anything that small so I am thinking about redoing it with paper clay since it hide mistakes better than paint :D

I have to dig it out of my stash but first I have to complete my Lily and the other 1/4th scale house 1st :)

I have a small Arthur that came with the village and Nutti keeps fussing at me to complete it since I told her about it. I did not like it because it was the 1st time I had attempted anything that small so I am thinking about redoing it with paper clay since it hide mistakes better than paint :D

I have to dig it out of my stash but first I have to complete my Lily and the other 1/4th scale house 1st :)

A sign of suffering from recurring IMD for sure :D

I originally was only putting the stones partway up the sides then was going to finish off with some siding. what do you think?

Siding, shingles or brick. Can you tell I love to play with decorating?

It used to be possible to buy "building Paper" from Walthers among other Train type hobby suppliers. If I was to build a second village, I would use northeast siding and trim on some possibly clapboard on a couple of houses...Board and Batten on the carriage house dfinately sandpaper on the Tudor House if not "no skid" added to the paint for the walls

Paperclay for the stone walls is something I have never tried....I would try it for foundations but not an entire wall or house the first time out

Ed

Thinking about it for a few days, I would make replacements for the trim parts out of even heavier stock...1/32 or 1/16 plywood. I would then add a floor for the second story also of thin plywood...1/8 the same thickness as the walls. I would also consider making the roof removable rather than a wall as it might be easier to conceal the seam...the attic is also a great place to hide wiring...lead the 2 main wires down one corner of the house and out the floor

Ed

Just another update! I have rocked 4 of the 6 houses. I have not done the gesso or anything else just the clay rocks of one sort or another. I have the Victorian and the Store left to do and am hoping I can roll the clay flat and make these more brick style. On one of them I used a styrofoam paper plate for the rock.

I do plan on adding second floors probably of foamcore because I want to try to do some kind of lighting in these. And, of course, I want wallpaper and flooring and furniture! These have been fun to do...

I like what you did with the stonework on your houses. it looks like a great way to completely change the look of these houses

I have a simple idea for a seamed metal roof for some of the buildings glus strips of wood 1/16 sq from eave to ridge approximately every half inch might be good for the store's mansard roof

Tile roof might work with corrugated paper cut into strips laid on like shingles then varnished and painted

Corrugated tin roofing can be done with corrugated paper cut into appropriate pieces glued on and varnished then painted with testors model master steel paint and weathered with rust

Ed

Thanks Ed! When I get to the roofing I will holler for you because you lost me on the first sentence. I want to do all the rock first, then paint them, then start on the insides before I do all the roofing but first, I have to decide how in the world I am going to light them up! Just a little to look cozy ya know what I mean?

Charlene! Have you started yours yet? It is easy and if you need some help let me know!

Charlene! Have you started yours yet? It is easy and if you need some help let me know!

Hahahahahah! Right! Let's see -- it's behind the current Sugarplum aka Prancing Pony ( which is, as of today, about 1/3 complete), a castle, a roombox, an abbey...maybe September? Or maybe September 2007!!! :lol: Not to worry -- I fully plan to pick your brains when I get around to this project. :rolleyes:

By the way, yours is just coming along super -- loved the idea of the foam plate pieces -- hadn't thought of that and they really work well.

I guess my major hurdle is that it is SO TINY and that's a mental leap for me to make...but yours is really inspiring me, they're going to be just toooooo cute! Your right, tho', 4 years on the shelf and those little houses are just crying out to be built....might just pull it down and start one -- need something to do while the glue dries on the current house, right? :lol:

Charlene that is why I put all 6 together at the same time and why I am claying them each before moving onto the wallpaper and flooring. I know that I will get tired of them if I don't do them this way! One more to go I saved the victorian for last cause I am not sure what to do with it!

Tracey! Thank you. So far so good wait until you see what I did with the store!

For the victorian, Use a variety of wood sidings from northeast. Victorian houses used a variety of siding textures as part of their archittectural style

If you do the firehouse....red brick might be the way to go

Library needs a fancy front facade...marble steps and columns, the sides and back can be some secondary material brick or stucco

THe sweet shop might benefit from board and batten siding

THe bandstand needs scribed wood flooring laid as a series of wedges with the floorboards parallel to the sides a bit of a hassle but it will be beautiful

Just a few ideas especially If I was to do a second set

Ed