Aster Cottage upstairs measurement

pats

If anyone has built an Aster Cottage and still has it, could you measure the upstairs loft space for me? I bought a beautiful handmade mini weaving loom that measures 6" long x 5" wide x 5" high and would like to build the Aster kit as a weavers workshop with the loom up in that loft. Thanks for any help you can give!

Pats

Hi Holly: There was a miniature show here in Massachusetts last week and I saw the loom there. It was made by a gentleman who runs a business with his wife called "Happiness Is". It's the most expensive miniature item that I ever bought and I busted the budget for about two years on it :( but it's so worth it!!

I am a weaver (let's say trying to be) and I just had to have this loom. I will definitely post pics of it. Pats

Pats,

the measurements for the Aster cottage top floor loft are 12 inches x 8 3/4 x at the peek of the roof 10 1/2 inches high.

Your loom shop sounds really great. I think we'd all like to see a picture of your loom.

Have you started the Aster yet?

Mine is pretty much done, all put together, painted and wallpapered. I'm just doing the interior now, I made a boo boo and did the tape wire and then put in the wallpaper (forgetting to take pic's along the way) and then the baseboards. I then went to put the lights in and realized that I put the tape wire to low to the floor and with the baseboards on I couldn't plug anything in. So out came the baseboards (very, very carefully) gently pulled up part of the wallpaper to fine the wiring and so far so good everything I have in there now is up and running.

I have the floors to put in and all of the baseboards back on and some of the lighting to do and of course touch ups here and there.

Furniture is another thing I bought a pretty couch and chair and I am reupholstering it in red and gold, the Aster is my Christmas cottage.

So far so good, going back and redoing things makes me feel like I'm rehabbing a house I've already built. Sometime you can get a little ahead of yourself.

Still can't get any time out of my three computer guys to show me how to get pic's to the computer. Hopefully soon, Christmas is coming!!!!!

Good luck,

Dar :(

Thanks Darlene. I think the loom will be fine up in that loft. I'm finishing a RGT Victorian Cottage and hope to start the Aster after the holidays. I hope you get pictures of yours into the gallery - I'd love to see the Christmas House! I will post a picture of the loom ASAP. Was the Aster an easy build?

Pats,

It was a fairly easy build. The biggest problem I had was with the wood peeling. The wood was quite brittle :( and the back (the wrong side) of the wood would flake off. I suggest before you start punching out the pieces that you give both side a good primer and let it dry. I did have to send a request into GL for 3 sheets to be replaced and they were great about it :p but other than that I'd say it was okay. There was however alot of sanding but I did enjoy this build.

It's funny this is the first house that I had the confidence to change a bit here and there just before I glused down everything for good.

I tried my first paperclay fireplace inside and out, I ran both tape wire and hard wire through the house and I cut into the loft floor for a different staircase, I used printie for wallpaper (I usually buy dollhouse wallpaper), I stained the floors but then decided I wanted hardwood and this way it covered the the loft floor changes and this may well be the only house that I may attempt landscaping with, I'm still undecided. This is also the first house that I went and bought furniture for and took it completely apart, down to pieces and re upholdtered and then rebuilt. I think it looks pretty nice.

This is what happens when you read this forum with all of these knowledgeable mini people, they give you great ideas and help you along the way. Mine may not turn out the same way thiers did the first time but I have a better idea of how things work or how I can make them work to better myself and come out with a great piece. I'd have to say some of the things that I have tried did not come out too bad and others I need alot of practice with. GL=great group of people.

Have fun with you build, good luck,

Dar

Wow Darlene, you did a lot to the Aster. I'm not too adventurous that way; maybe I'll get better by following the posts on this site. 'Glad to hear that GL replaced the pieces. I'm nervous about this build because the only other die-cut house I did was about ten years ago. It was the Storybook Cottage, which was pretty easy. I've done some other houses, which I'll post pics of one of these days. Hope you had a great hoiday.

Pat S.