Hockey

Missymew

Don't know if anybody here follows hockey. Just finished watching the game on television -- so how about those Edmonton Oilers? Our team hasn't played so good since the days when Wayne Gretzky was their team captain.

-Susanne

WOO HOO Edmonton Oilers! I watched the last two minutes of that last game! It's all terribly exciting!! I remember the EO's back when they were in their heyday! I went to a lot of those games and remember celebrating the Stanley Cup wins on White Avenue!! Can anyone say HUGE party?!!

Susanne, it will be fantastic if they can BRING IT HOME!! :lol:

Thanks Teresa.

The parties on Whyte Avenue have gotten a little out of hand lately.

Mayor and Police Chief are meeting to see what can be done to dilute some of the more crazy antics.

This year brings back such fond memories of the years when Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Kevin Lowe et al played. Sure hope they bring home the Stanley Cup.

-Susanne

I remember when DH had been drafted into the USMC during the '60s he was stationed at Kaneohe MCAS and one of the other Marine couples who were our neighbors were from Rhode Island, and when we met them her DH introduced himself as a former hockey goalee, and I commented I'd never seen a goalee with all his front teeth. Nothing like being introduced to someone else intheir early twenties & having them remove their partial plate & grin at you!!!

My nephew is BIG into hockey. He's a goalie and it's his dream to become professional. He's only 12 so you never know!! Only 12 but already 4" taller than me! Where does the time go?!!

Did I mention I love Wayne Gretzky?!! Darn Janet . . . or whatever her name is!! :angry:

Did I mention I love Wayne Gretzky?!! Darn Janet . . . or whatever her name is!! :(

Did I mention that I've met Wayne Gretzky on a few occasions.

Once when I was out for lunch with (then) Alderman Olivia Butti. We were in the same restaurant and she introduced me to Wayne. He signed his autograph for me and I sent it to a nephew who lives in England (huge hockey fan).

The second time, I was out with some girlfriends. Anyway, Lorraine was always very bold. We had just left a nightclub and Wayne was getting out of his limo (before Janet when he still lived in Edmonton). Anyway, Lorraine asked him if we could borrow her limo to go over to .... forget the name of the club we were heading to. Wayne said "sure, just send him back here when you're finished with him". So we climbed in. :angry:

He's been into City Hall a couple of times in the last few years.

He was up to see my boss and I spoke with him when he came to Edmonton for the opening of Wayne Gretzky Drive (freeway we named in his honour).

Then a couple of years ago he came to Edmonton to play in the Heritage Classics. Once again he came up to see Terry and I got to talk to him.

My boss, Terry, used to play hockey with Gordie Howe back in the 1940's.

-Susanne

As the stanely cup finals get ready to face off...all i have to say is 'GO HURRICANES!!!!!!!!!!!!'

I was born in NC. :)

I'm a huge hockey fan, seasont ticket holder in DC for 4 years and even owned a luxury box back when I was engaged to the rich man...too bad I had to leave him (silly me thought the engagement ring meant we were exclusive!). Anyway, better off without him, I prefer to watch hockey games down in the crowd anyway...better energy.

Woo hoooooooo!!! LET'S GO CANES! LET'S GO CANES! LET'S GO CANES!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

THE HURRICANES WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good grief, I'm exhausted. My poor roommate must be terrified, i've standing up on the couch jumping and screaming for like the last 10 minutes.

LOL, you're more enthusiastic than I am. My husband watches the game (I sometimes watch while doing a crossword puzzle or sodoku puzzle on my lap). Every so often, I'll look up and ask "who's winning?".

When I read your earlier post about being a Hurricane fan, I went into the living room and asked my husband if the Oilers were playing a team called the Hurricanes. He told me that they were and that the teams were tied 4 - 4.

I then went and ran a bath. Later I heard the tv was silent and I called out "who won". He replied "they did".

How fun that your team and our team are playing each other. My husband is the much bigger fan, but I enjoy that our team is doing something wonderful being in the finals. I also like that hockey is a fast game, not like football.

-Susanne

• 2 weeks later...

My hubby is downstairs watching the game. I haven't heard any "woo hoo's" lately . . . I sure hope the Oiler's are winning or it's going to be very depressing around here for a while!! :lol:

Susanne, I saw Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier and some of the other guys from way back when at a nightclub in Edmonton . . . I forget the name . . . of course it's gone now. I didn't have the nerve to accoust him . . . wish I did . . . who knows where it would have led to . . . :o

Susanne, I saw Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier and some of the other guys from way back when at a nightclub in Edmonton . . . I forget the name . . . of course it's gone now. I didn't have the nerve to accoust him . . . wish I did . . . who knows where it would have led to . . . :)

He's very approachable. He always looks you right in the eyes when he talks to you. The friend who asked to borrow his limo - well she's just that kind of a person - and it probably didn't hurt that my other friend was a beautiful model (she'd met Wayne at various functions that she'd worked as a model ... they're often hired to "circulate" a room).

-Susanne

Yeah .... we won the game last night. The Hurricanes are playing very well. I told my husband last night that I liked their bright red uniforms better than the Oilers, and might decide to cheer for them instead.

My husband just gave me one of "those" looks.

Wow, Susanne, you like to live on the "edge", don't you?

I secretly hope that Miami beats Houston (NBA finals) because I'm so tired of poor Shaq trying to sound profound in interviews.

You met Wayne Gretzky, Missymew?

May I drool on your shoes?

DH plays intramural hockey. He's a goalee. He has his teeth, but then there's the head wound from the practice puck that explains why he has no sense of smell.

When we were buying him all-new equipment last winter -- I'd made him dump the 20-year-old stuff before we moved out here, as it was more than time to replace it -- the clerk loved me, because every time DH dithered, I'd say, "Buy the one with better protection! I want you back with all the parts intact!"