Garfield

hannahsmom5

Hello to all my newest friends...

I am new to this...never built a dollhouse, had one my father built and now I am building one for my daughter. Santa is going to bring this wonderful house and I am getting ready to start. Can't wait!!

Any advise for me?

Hi Liz

What Rhonda said - and more.

The Garfield is big......... very big. Get started tonight and work every available minute if you want to finish for Christmas. I started my first house, a Garfield in January this year and I am still only halfway - well maybe 60% there. I have gone to town on it I suppose, shingling and siding and electrifying. You don't need to do any of that stuff if you choose not to, it will certainly save time if that's your priority.

Good luck with it Liz, its a beautiful house - I adore mine - spend more time looking at it than working on it I suppose. Have fun - but you will never be able to hide it if its a surprise gift lol.

Jo

Hi Liz,

You're going to have so much fun!

The Garfield can be a little challenging at times, I got hung up on about the 5th step of the instructions, but you will find all the advice you need here at the Greenleaf forum just by asking...it's a beautiful thing!!

My niece got a dollhouse for Christmas which was basically the built structure with exterior paint, and then she and her mom decorated it together, which they both loved doing. The structure goes together relatively quickly (you'll learn to love waiting for glue to dry!), it's all the details, including the decor, that go into it that can be time consuming....

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers!!!

Natalie

If it's a surprise and you are building this one in a room so she won't find it, be sure to build this house in a room that has an opening large enough to go through. We had a member who built this house and they were moving and it had to stay with the house :D . I can not wait to see pictures of your house. It should be a Wonderful Present for your daughter!!

hi. Liz. just completed a garfield. the best advice i can give is don't get ahead of yourself . stay with the instructions and plain ahead for wall cover, etc. and don't hurry.you are creating a gift of a lifetime. if you don't complete by Christmas someone will understand. i didn't complete by my grand daughter birthday , so we give her furniture to go in it. all work out great.

Gosh, I was so excited for you in my last post that I forgot to include what I meant to say......

Be sure to do a dry build as you prep your pieces - I found the wood pretty warpy so I used a pigmented primer on all pieces -- as you do that dry build you will see that there are areas that you won't be able to reach once the house is complete (unless you're only 5"s tall) and that you will need to paper/paint, put in flooring, etc. as you build. Mainly the entry, 2nd and 3rd floor landings and hall to kitchen door.

Good Luck!!!

Liz, do introduce yourself to everyone in the Newcomers' Forum when you get a chance. There are no questions here that we aren't happy to answer if we know it. Please don't use hot glue to put this kit together, even the high-temperature hot-melt glues can get lumpy, stringy or otherwise nasty, I recently finished taking a Pierce COMPLETELY apart with a heat gun, that was built with hot glue and looked it. A good carpenter's wood glue is your friend, as is lots of masking tape. This Garfield is such a beautiful house, as well as HUGE, that it's OK if it takes a couple of Christmases before it's "done".