-THE SAN FRANCISCAN - i AM NOW UNSTUCK

Ginnydoll

Well, I think I solved all my problems on what to do about my San Franciscan. It will be coming today. I thought I was buying the DMC house, but it is all wood.

This house is lovely. In fact, I am buying 2 San Franciscans. They will be used together, so I can put another San Franciscan bay on one side,with a small porch above it, and add some space at the top of the San Fransic. to make it a bit bigger.

I decided, on the other side, which is just straight with no windows, to add another bay window. I saw a real people house near where I live in Bellefonte, Pa. This house (a bed and breakfast called the Queen) has everything a good Queen Ann should have. Every window in that house is different. Well, on one side, the bay in the Queen has a rectangle shape. So, I got the idea I wanted to get a rectangle bay on one side of my San Francisco. The Buttercup dollhouse is the answer. It has a great front door bay that can be used to the side of my San Franciscan.

With all the bashing and adding I plan, I get tired in my brain just thinking about it. The Buttercup is so cute and pretty. I unforturnatly only have room for one house.

So , for me, bashing and combining will the answer.

I see such wonderful things all of you have one done. I admire all the ideas I read on the Greenleaf boards. All so creative. I have spent hours and hours just reading it all. Days and days. I am glad I did that, that is how I found out about the Buttercup.

There is one Buttercup here done by Violet2Dawn, she took both the bay windows from her Buttercup, and combined them into one bay window, instead of a front door. I love that idea, and that is what I am planning also. Violets' stone Buttercup is pictured on the Corona discussions. I love her house.

So, maybe all this will take years for me, but the end result will be so pretty.

Thankyou for your support in my project. I will take pictures. So far, all I have is the first San Francisco. I have taken the box picture and the inside of the box with all the various pieces.

I do have pictures of my older dollhouses, but only from my scrapbook, as I no longer have them. I will need to figure out how to transfer thoses pictures in the scrapbook to my camera and than to this link.

One of the dollhouses I made was a Barbie dollhouse for my than 5 year old daughter. I made it from a wood toy box and added a second floor. All wood and not commercial. Just my own design.

I have a new question on my San Franciscan. I have decided not to put in staircases.This will hopefully make each room a bit bigger and not so squashed in each of the rooms. I might add a spiral staircase later on the second floor when I get to that part of the dollhouse.

My question is: On the staircases, (in each floor piece,there is the rectangle which I am supposed to punch out for installing each staircase. ) Since I will not be having these staircases, I will not punch out these holes. Should I use spackle or some type of glue on these areas, so that part of the wood will not fall out,in the future. Or should I just punch out these staircase areas, and than reglue them to make that now glued area stronger? What would be the best way to go about this?

Depends on whether you will want the spiral stairs at a later date, how permanently you want to close the hole. I would leave the hole alone, run a bead of wood glue around the underside and smooth it before the ceiling treatment. If you want to use the kit wood to do your second floor treatments you won't want to get glue on the bare wood until after you stain; if you're laying floors and carpets, etc, go ahead and do a glue bead around the die line there, too, and then spackle it smooth and you should never know the difference.

Holly,

I will more than likely add a wood floor of my own, or perhaps carpet when that floor is laid down.

I am pretty sure I want to add the spiral staincase in and not put in the straight staircase. That staircase just takes up too much room. I would rather use the limited space for decorating. My doll people will just have to fly when they want to reach the second floor.

Years ago,in a dollhouse magazine. I saw a spiral staircase put in a kitchen to the second floor. It was painted ivory and very romatic looking. I kept that picture in my file.

I still am having trouble getting pictures into "My gallery" . I did one, and now can't seem to figure out how I did it. I will try and get it in tonight. I spent several hours trying to post pictures of my Barbie dollhouse last night.

I guess you ideal of glue and spackle will be best. Especialy since I will cover it up with my own flooring.

Holly, I was still writing when my post went in here, so will finish in this message.

Right now, I am studying stones, and taking pictures of stone walls in my area, so I can use the paper clay technique on the foundation of the San Franciscan. It amazes me how many different types of stone techniques there are. And how many different types of stones there are in different areas of the world.

At the same time as I study stone work, I am putting together some of the assemblies of the San Franciscan. Such as windows, and the tower. And the bay windows.

I have all the paint colors picked out. 3 pinks, lavender, a green, and the base color on the siding will be a cream color.

Some fish scales in the front above the second floor, and corbels on some of the bays.

The whole project has me so excited that I stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning every night,reading and planning and dreaming of corbels and gazebos.

Yes, you mean the wall that is behind me. The 4th wall. That will hapen on one of the floors.

I have a number of mini people, in my storage unit. They are just waiting for their house to be built so they can move in. They have been waiting for years. And than they can go up the invisable stairs. Or try their luck on the spiral steps in the kitchen.

It seems I can't post any pictures, even though I am a senoir member. Only the one of the farmhouse, the one that really shows nothing at all.

Maybe when I get more posts, it will finally happen, and you and everyone can see what I have been up until now.

Well, in the meantime, I am studying my Buttercup to see how I can make it into the rectagle bay window. I love that little house. Maybe, one day, in the future, I will make a Buttercup too. On its own. That house has such wonderful lines and possibilities. I see it as a littlle stone house.