thought I would share my afternoon

dollshousegirl

I have been fiddling about on the computer an dreaming my afternoon away today as i cannot get to my worktable (DH is sleepipng in the bedroom !!)

so I have been going through my saved piccys of al lthe houses i would like to own, and drooling, the Beacon hill being number 1 on my next to have list.

i would call it The Old Wisteria Hotel, and of coursee it would have to have a wisteria plant growing along the porch. anyhoo I THINK I know exactly what i would like to do to it (when i get it) I am going to make it into a Hotel in the deep south, so i can play around with bedrooms and have each a different stlye.

i would also like to add a bit extra to the kitchen and the bedroom above and add a conservaotory on the side of the kitchen for the dining space. as well as (If I can do it) add a third floor simliar to the 2nd floor for 2 more bedrooms (but we'll see about that)

I have been fiddling with MS paint and cobbled together a diagram to keep me going until i get a Beacon Hill all of my own. here the diagram, hope you can read my labels on it

beacon_hill_remodel_2.bmp

I also have been having ideas for my poor little fairfield (its still in the box) poor thing, I keep making little promises to it and telling it how perfect things come in small packages and it will be the best little thing around. I came across this picture of stairs (WOW) and realised that this is what the fairfield must have for its stairs. now anybody got any idea of how i would go about creating or finding something for the railings, that i can bend obviously for the curly bit

hope you can see the pictures of the stair way

post-315-1145023724_thumb.jpg

Sally, More fun than the law allows, and yes, you can add the conservatory to the kitchen for a diningroom.

how i would go about creating or finding something for the railings, that i can bend obviously for the curly bit
Fancy plastic filigree fan ribs such as one sees for wedding favors, I'm sure the plastic would curl nicely if introduced to hot enough water (just keep your fingers OUT). Automobile enamel in a spray can will turn them into whatever color metal you want your stair to be :D

Will you make little bathrooms for each room too?

Old Southern homes made into inns/ hotels frequently have ONE bathroom (with tub & all the plumbing) per floor, with lavatory & commode stool in the rooms.

Old Southern homes made into inns/ hotels frequently have ONE bathroom (with tub & all the plumbing) per floor, with lavatory & commode stool in the rooms.

Yes, that's mostly true. Except some will have a "luxury" suite in which you get your own bathroom. The Buggy Inn in Carthage, NC is that way.

Sally, it's breathtaking!! Absolutely beautiful!

he stairs are real (i think) but if I can manage to do something similar in 1/2 scale for my fairfield then I'll be happy.

thats sounds good, will have to figure a way to add a cool bathroom, what would a commode stool look like ? and would it be a fitted lavotory do you think?

I will be on the look out for plastic filligree (craft shops/yard sales/flea markets)

I must be crazy you know, I already have the glencroft to half thatched and the doors to be fitted, the orchid and Laurel for the girls going on my poor little fairfield still in its box and I am thinking about what i am going to do with a house I don't EVEN have yet !!! what is that about !!

Sorry for the confusion, "commode stool" is what I was taught to call "the throne", the toilet, the loo. Our local B&Bs (bed & breakfast inns) mostly just have one shared bathroom per floor, but I have seen some in really large homes that had the lavatory (sink) and stool in the room (remodeled closet or other legerdemain with wallboard).

As Linda points out, a lot of more recent madeovers have the private full bathrooms with each room. It's YOUR house! Aren't there still French pensions with one or two bathrooms for an entire floor?

Sally on of my favorite B&B here in Va. on the way to Williamsburg, is Edgecroft --built just before the civil war. Beautiful staircase, but not as dramatic as the one you have pictured.

Watch the movie Gone with the Wind. The staircase in the Atlanta mansion that Scarlett & Rhett build is actually a hotel staircase, the Jefferson, that was copied by Hollywood for that one scene. Brides still have their receptions at the Jefferson, and their pictures taken on this staircase. In the turn of the century, this hotel was famous for its pet 'alligators' that resided in the marble pools, while folks dined. They now have statues of those alligators, in rod iron, where the alligators used to swim. It too has all of the majestic marble, etc. The b&b that is my favorite, has been featured in Country Inns magazine, and is run by a wonderful little lady named Dot. She upgraded the rooms to have a small lavatory, and some you share the bathroom, but most of her rooms now have a sink. The carriage house and the other 'cabins' that have been converted also have their own baths.

I love the name Wisteria Inn, it is quite old south. Another option on names if you're still toying with it is alot of old southern plantations about here where I live have a woman's name. Examples of this are Shirley, Evelynton( owned by the Ruffin family--supposedly the man who fired the first shot of the Civil war in south Carolina, I believe it was. Evelynton was burned during the war and rebuilt by its descendants, and that's the mansion you see now.) Another one that is right down the road from me is Queenfield plantation, named for the charter the family received from Queen Anne, I believe.

Look forward to more plans! Why not check out Lawbre for the staircase railings or even a staircase that is spiral? that would be fantastic looking! http://www.lawbre.com

As Linda points out, a lot of more recent madeovers have the private full bathrooms with each room. It's YOUR house! Aren't there still French pensions with one or two bathrooms for an entire floor?

No no Holly! I was agreeing with you, that they are like that, they share a common bathroom. But some, like The Buggy Inn, will have one room that is a luxury suite which has it's own bathroom. That's the one that we stayed in, but all the other rooms shared a common bathroom down the hall.

Here's a picture of The Buggy Inn that I am talking about.

post-6-1145109317_thumb.jpg

Sally, Diane Almeyda who does stained glass and ironwork put some useful tips on Small Stuff this morning about soldering the iron, or metal. One thing that she specifically stated was that you shouldn't get the solder too hot, or it will 'eat' the metal you are using. I would have to experiment with it before seeing what she totally means, I think she was referring to the silver.