San Fran 557 Question

Dawn74

I've got the basic shell of my house together and I'm working on painting it. The edges of my exterior window bays are a little worn, so they don't come to an exact point where they are glued together. I've looked at some of the members pictures in the gallery and it looks like some have vertical trim that caps over these edges. Did these trim pieces come with a different San Fran model (they didn't come with mine and the picture on the box doesn't show them either) or did you guys get crafty and improvise? If so, what did you use?

I'm not sure exactly which part you mean. Where the windows came together at the bottom and the top of the bays, the instructions said to cut the trim at an angle. I couldn't get that right to save my life, so I cut them straight and used spackle to make it look right. I hope that helps some.

You can check out my San Fran on my blog for pictures:Mini Mischief Blog I'm working on the SF557 too. Good luck! The windows made me crazy. I ripped them out several times before I was happy with them.

I'm not sure exactly which part you mean. Where the windows came together at the bottom and the top of the bays, the instructions said to cut the trim at an angle.

Thanks! I took a look at your San Fran (looking good) and it doesn't look like you have the pieces that I'm asking about either. If you look at the actual bays (they went together in 3 pieces), I'm referring to the angles formed when you glued them together. If you look at heartnsoule's San Fran, she has white vertical trim that covers the external side of where the pieces meet. I did some more searching and I think these pieces came with the 555. However, I'm still trying to come up with ideas to create the same pieces because I want to cover mine too.

I hope my description is better this time, I'm unsure of the correct terminology to use. :p

The prior San Franciscan models were all wood, the SF550 and the SF555; I've only built the SF555, wouldn't touch MDF if you GAVE it to me! so I'm no help at all!

The MDF San Fran is my first house, so I don't have a real opinion yet. However, I do have Beacon Hill in the box and can tell you that looking at all of those tiny pieces I have to punch out is very intimidating! She's lucky she's such a beautiful house or I think I'd give up without trying. :p

Thanks! I took a look at your San Fran (looking good) and it doesn't look like you have the pieces that I'm asking about either. If you look at the actual bays (they went together in 3 pieces), I'm referring to the angles formed when you glued them together. If you look at heartnsoule's San Fran, she has white vertical trim that covers the external side of where the pieces meet. I did some more searching and I think these pieces came with the 555. However, I'm still trying to come up with ideas to create the same pieces because I want to cover mine too.

I hope my description is better this time, I'm unsure of the correct terminology to use. :lol:

Hi Dawn,

Now I see what you are refering to. I am building the MDF 557 and I don't believe there was trim for that in my version. I lost my instructions ages ago so it doesn't help! :) In HeartnSoule's version I believe she was building the all wood one (555 maybe) and the bays go together very differently. If you don't have that trim, pieces of balsa or other wood strips with a little spackle would work fine I would think. I like skinny sticks from Walmart for a variety of trim solutions.

I've emailed with Kate (Heart and Soule) quite a bit and she is a very nice lady, so I'm sure she's be happy to answer any questions you have if you'd like to PM her. Good luck with your San Fran! This house is not for the faint of heart but it is a beauty in the end. I love mine with a passion that borders on obsession. Ask my husband- he's convinced I'm crazy by now! :p

And don't worry about using the correct terminology. We're like Starbucks- tell us what you mean and we'll figure it out! :D

In the all wood versions the walls lide down into long frame pieces. With the MDF I think it'd look awfully good to invest in some of the ornamental moldings and use them. You might need to recut the wide edges to the same angles that your bay corners are, to meet evenly.

In the all wood versions the walls lide down into long frame pieces. With the MDF I think it'd look awfully good to invest in some of the ornamental moldings and use them. You might need to recut the wide edges to the same angles that your bay corners are, to meet evenly.

I agree. I think that would make a big difference on those difficult edges. Oh goodie, one more thing to do! At this rate I'll never get this house done. :)