european lights

flk01

I bought two electrified lamps in Berlin. The bulbs have different size screw in bases than the ones in my US lamps. Does it matter that we are AC and europe is DC ? Will these light bulbs work since the current will be coming through the transformer? I'd rather know ahead of time than blow the bulbs. Thanks

Sorry to contradict, as long as the bulbs are the same voltage it shouldn't matter. (12 volts?)

Glen

Think I should qualify my comment. This only applies to filament light bulbs. Definitely not appliances or fluorescent lights.

Glen is correct. Standard filament bulbs as most are in dollhouses don't care if the electricity is AC or DC. The voltage must be correct though. Can someone in the group tell me what the DC voltage is that is most commonly used in Europe?

Most of the wiring systems available here use 12 volts. It's AC, but anyone can take one of those bulbs and touch a wire from a 9 volt battery to each contact of the bulb and it will light fine. If the bulb is rated for a slightly higher voltage it should still work but it may not be as bright. But that can depend on how many other bulbs you have on the same circuit.

Darrell