How to add Chimney

prariegurl

Last fall at Philadelphia Miniaturia, DH bought me a lovely Arts & Crafts fireplace from Kummerows. It will occupy a place of honor in the Bungalow living room.

Now here's my dilema. I simply will not have a fireplace without a corresponding chimney on the outside of the home. I have already finished the siding on the house. So what would be the best way to add a chimney to an already sided dollhouse?

Jeri

Draw out the Chimney the size you want it and make a cardboard pattern, lay it on your wall where you want it & trace around it, use a sharp knife to cut through the siding and remove it from inside the traced/ cut lines. You can use your pattern to make the pieces for your chimney out of foamcore or wood and add it onto the exterior of the house, finishing it in whatever way you wish.

You'd only need to remove enough siding along your trace line to accommodate the thickness of the material you're using for your chimney, to get a flush fit to the wall, but IMO it's just easier to peel off the siding strips inside where the chimney will go.

• 2 weeks later...