Melissa How Did You Do That?

SuzyQ

Hello Melissa,

My 13 year old daughter RayAnne would love to know how you made that coffin. We love it!!!

SuzyQ :angry: :(

It has been a while since I made that. I will try my best to ry to rember and accuratly describe how I made it. The first thing I did was search the web to get the dementions for a real one, inside and out. Then I search ebay for a pic of one to model. Once I got the size I needed to cut the wood into, I used the punch out parts from windows/doors from the Beacon Hill kit to cut he bottom box part. I trimed it with craft sticks and coffee stirrer sticks. The rounded lid was made by cutting 5 semi circles from a manilla folder in the size I wanted and gluing them to a piece if paper so they would stand up. I then started gluing coffee stirrer sticks to the sides and over the curved paper. I then filed the gaps with wood putty and sanded. Then more wood putty and sand, putty, sand ect untill it was perfectly rounded as I wanted it.I then cut a 30 degree angel on each end. Made a piece of wood fut for the side, Filled the gaps, putty and sand time after time I then removed the paper from inside it. I made a base for the curved part to sit on and glued the arch to the base of the lid. Then more putty and sanding. Once I got it smooth enough to paint, Darrell begain the process of painting. It was spray painted and sanded and painted many times untill a nice even level was acheived. The we cut he top part into two pieces so they could open seperatly, and painted it more. Then a few layers of varnish to make it shine. I attached the lids with ribbon which would be hid by the lining. The sides are decorated with scrapbooking little metal things I painted silver and added a jump ring so that the bar could fit through it. My first bar was a bamboo skewer but that did not look good. I replaced it with some aluminum tubing cut to size with a pony bead glued to it. I put some fabric around the opening to bring forward over the open edge.The inside was made by covering manilla folder templates to fit. I trimed down a wedge makeup sponge to create an incline, I sewed a little pillow for the dolls head to rest on. A piece of an old broken necklace was used for the chain that shows when the lid is open. I then made a scrap wood bench type table for the casket to rest on and covered it with a fabric skirt.

For the doll I mixed and matched paint to match the bisqu the doll was. I took a small brush and put paint into his eyes untill they were bulging as if the eyes were closed intead of indented for eyes to be open. His hair is trimed from some lambskin and glued spairingly to his head. The suit was made from an old sewing pattern for dolls with clothes. ( butterick or simplicity, not sure without searching for the pattern) altered to fit body of this doll. He has no shoes on, if I rember right they are not used in burial.

The flower spray was made with black tulle and what I call "screwdriver" roses. Very quick and easy to make a lot of them.

Thas how I rember making it. I do not rember the deminsions or anything, but do remember it took me several months to finish it.

Melissa

Thanks Melissa,

I really appreciate you trying to jog your memory for us.

You did a really great job on that.

PS. I didn't know they sold coffins on ebay eww.

SuzyQ

Suzy, you'll really flip on this one. One day DH & I walked into Good Will as they were selling a baby blue flocked coffin to a "goth" girl who drives an old hearse for her car.

Suzy, you'll really flip on this one. One day DH & I walked into Good Will as they were selling a baby blue flocked coffin to a "goth" girl who drives an old hearse for her car.
:(

Oh man I hope it wasn't used. ewww. :angry:

This is kinda of sad and weird at the same time. My borther in law is dying of Melenoma Cancer. We he and my sister have been making funeral arrangements. They gave me the web site of the funeral home and they do actually rent caskets for people that are going to be creamated or just want a pine box but want to look fancy at the funeral. They said they get rid of the caskets pretty quickly because they wear out fast. Thats why I said I hope it wasn't used. It probably was.

SuzyQ