The Rules

CatColorado

We've been debating changes in the shipping/packing policy as well as the concept of the $5 value. Here are the rules that we are thinking of going with, and as with all other aspects of this project, feedback is welcome.

1. All items the same.

This means that if you are making a 'pillow' for your swap, then you will make a 'pillow' for every member in the swap. You can customize if you like by changing colors to match a swap partner's theme.

*Note* Here is an example: The swap theme is Toys and you poll everyone to find out what gender their dollhouse children are...

YES - you make toy boxes filled with gender appropriate toys.

NO - you make a doll for one person, an airplane for another, stacking blocks for a third.

2. The items made should have a 'value'. The concept of value is subjective, so what one person thinks is a specific value, isn't necessarily what another person thinks. This value was originally conceived at $5 but Linda and I are thinking of revamping. What do you think?

3. We will have specific guidelines on packing items to be shipped to the hub. There has been breakage, so we thought it prudent to include this.

4. Should we have a Min/Max on participants? Less than three, cancelled. More than eight, we split into smaller groups?

5. We will ship through the HUB which has traditionally been Linda. Whether Linda participates or not (meaning, makes something), you make an extra item for her. You do not ship the item you make for your self, so if there are 5 swappers plus the Hub, you ship 5 items. You presumeably made 6 but kept one for yourself.

6. How far in advance would you like to know the theme of a particular swap? Should we have a mailing list to let people know?

I personally think there should be a max per swap or if we get really big, have 2 swaps for the same theme but divided in sizes like a big one (max of 30 particapents) and a small one (max of 10 or 15 particapents).

Since it is now 2 of you one could be for the big swap (hub address) and the other one could host the hub for the smaller one.

Also, I think regarding the packing, you should mention guidelines. Such as people should wrap each package according to how fragile it is. If it is fagile, MORE bubble wrap would be needed. Items not fragile I think will be fine in a baggie.

I think you both will make this a wonderful swap area for all members. There are some who have never swapped and don't know what it is so it's great how you are approaching this! I can't wait to start LOL. :lol:

Cat, responding by number:

1, 2 and 3 are good, and I agree.

In regard to 4, I agree that under 3 participants, cancel the swaps. I am still undecided on larger swaps though. It would be difficult to use a central hub and then decide to break it into two hubs, I think. Even with a large number, it still may be simpler to use one hub. Got to think some more on that one.

5 is agreed.

6, I liked your suggestion of having 3 of the swaps not holiday themed, and 3 that were themed. I think 2 months advance is good.

My only concern with larger swaps is that it may be difficult for some people to complete that many items. I know if a swap goes over eight people, I have a hard time finishing enough items. (I am thinking of the last Christmas swap we did at ATM, I was running all over town trying to find enough little wooden bowls! :blink: ) Perhaps, instead of breaking up into smaller groups, we can allow more time before the ship-out date. This can be determined the day after the sign-up cut off.

As for Holiday/3 months and Neutral/3 months, I think that will work well. We can also poll for whether people want a seasonal swap as opposed to a holiday swap. An example of this would be December, snowmen are seasonal whereas santas are holiday.

I agree on the larger swaps. If there are more than ten or fifteen participants, people may be hard pressed to finish everything, PLUS pack and wrap it properly. In my personal opinion, larger swaps of ten or more would be difficult for me to participate in, and make it more stressful..also, larger swaps with a $5 dollar value would quickly add up---30 x $5 is $150 for a swap--not including postage and packing materials.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I just look at the numbers.....it's a habit! :blink:

more than ten or fifteen participants, people may be hard pressed to finish everything, PLUS pack and wrap it properly. In my personal opinion, larger swaps of ten or more would be difficult for me to participate in, and make it more stressful..also, larger swaps with a $5 dollar value would quickly add up---30 x $5 is $150 for a swap--not including postage and packing materials

I agree. I can think of few things I could afford the time, money or maintain interest to make more than ten of.

We're not supposed to be spending $5 to make each item, but rather making something that might have a $5 value when finished. This is to keep people from buying a package of flocked bears and using those for their item without creating anything with the bear. Again, the 'value' concept is subjective. As long as it looks like someone put some thought and care into an offering, then I am happy. For me, it's not so much the cost of making 10 items, but the time involved. I do work fast but sometimes I can't manage to find the time (or energy :blink: ) to sit down and actually do the work.

Overall, I agree we should have a cut off at 10, with a waiting list in case someone drops out. I doubt a waiting list would be necessary but it's good to have a contingency in place in case it does happen.

Overall, I agree we should have a cut off at 10, with a waiting list in case someone drops out.

I agree also. I am glad you clarified what the "$5" value really meant.

:blink:

Query:  When we're sending our swap items to the hub, how much $$$ do we include for the Swap Goddess to send everything out again?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It can vary from swap to swap but generally hovers around $5 to $6 dollars. You also get a refund if the shipping is less than that. This happens 95% of the time. Larger swaps are more expensive because more items=heavier box. If you need a more definitive answer, we'll have to wait for Linda since she handles all of the shipping.