how do you make a wall paper template ?

pinkhare

So I wallpapered most of my house {orchid }but when I started to put the roof on I noticed a huge gap ,like an inch or sowhere the front of the house meets the side . The wall paper also didn't look right on the front wall. So I'd like to re wallpaper it once it's constructed. I understand that you cut the wallpapr to fit but how do I go about making the template ? Sorry for such a hard core newbie question .

The template is simply using some other paper (or cardstock) that you lay on the wall you want to paper, and draw around the outside, and then around any window or door openings. Cut off everything but what covers the wall -- and that's your template. You make the templates of each wall before you put the house together, not after.

But you already have the wallpaper in place? You must not have fit the wall quite right when you "dry fitted" everything -- when you put the room together with masking tape before you glued...at which time you might have discovered this gap, and been able to fit the paper better. About all you can do now is take off that paper (there are several hints on the forum here, each depending on what kind of glue you used), and re-paper. Maybe some of the more experienced builders have a better idea...

Sarah, making templates is easy. If you've installed your interior window trims and windows you may want to carefully pop them off. To make a template you want to make a pattern. Two ways to make a pattern:

Tear or cut newspaper into sections a little larger than your walls. lay a section onto the wall and carefully crease along the edges where the wall joins the floor, ceiling & adjacent wall(s) (or back opening edge). Very carefully (& precisely) press around your window & door openings to mark them (you can use the side of a soft pencil lead to help with this). Remove the newspaper and carefully cut around it and replace it to make sure everything fits exactly, and when it does you have your pattern. To keep newsprint off of the surface you want to paper, lay your pattern facedown onto the back of the posterboard/ matboard/ whatever you're using for the template and cut it out. I find using a cork-backed steel straightedge and a knife works the very best for this. lay your template faceup onto your wall to check the fit and when it's perfect, paint/ paper/ whatever wall treatment the template.

Another way I've read to make the pattern is to use smaller pieces of paper and use a patchwork technique to get your pattern. The important thing is to have your wall template fit your wall precisely.

Thank you so much. My husband actually fixed it for me. He cut a piece of the wall paper ,matching the pattern and just glued it over the gap and cut off the excess. Due to the pattern you really can't tell there was ever a gap now.

I don't know what I'd do with out this forum.